Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Jeff Ploughman <je...@immutability.io> on 2019/09/22 14:32:48 UTC

An Apache-Amnesty Open Source License

Hello,

A recent event sparked an idea that I wanted to share. The event was when
Seth Vargo, a maintainer of an open source software package, decided to
remove his OSS codebase upon discovering that it was being used by DHS/ICE:
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/mbm3xn/chef-sugar-author-deletes-code-sold-to-ice-immigration-customs-enforcement.

While Seth's action caused temporary annoyance to consumers of his
codebase, it was quickly remediated by Chef (the company with the DHS/ICE
contract.) They remediated by distributing a fork of Seth's software. This
is what sparked the idea:

What if there was an OSS license that could sanction human rights abusers?

I am not a lawyer, so I don't know what would be necessary to implement
such a license or to enforce it; but, the legal community has long been
able to implement sanctions against certain actors. This seems to take the
form of preventing economic transactions with a list of blacklisted actors.

What I am proposing is to create a variant of the Apache license that adds
a clause to the effect that distribution/use of licensed materials follows
a sanctions program: that usage by or distribution to an actor who is on an
Amnesty International curated sanctions list constitutes a license
violation. (I could also see a similar sanctions list leveraged to
encourage green business practices.)

As I said, I am not a lawyer, so I don't know what kind of wranglings are
necessary to implement the above control; but as an OSS maintainer, I
believe that there is appetite in the community for such capabilities. I
also believe that this kind of capability represents a novel form of
community-based soft power: a huge part of the world's economy flows
through OSS software. Imagine the leverage that such a mechanism could have
in aligning corporate entities with social goods.

Cheers,
Jeff Ploughman
CEO/Engineer, Immutability, LLC

Re: An Apache-Amnesty Open Source License

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
As Greg said, it is likely not to be approved by OSI.

Field of Use restrictions are kind of sensitive to the ASF... after all, it was for that reason that we resigned from the JCP when Sun, and then Oracle, implemented such conditions on our JEE efforts.*

*: It was not the *sole* reason, of course, but was the seed of many

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@behlendorf.com>.
This isn't really the right place to propose a new license; the right place for it would be the license-review (if you have a finished license) or license-discuss mailing lists at opensource.org.  The feedback here is nothing compared with what you'll get there, unless you first review the existing approved licenses to see if there is already a fit, and if not to work on a draft with a competent lawyer with a clear purpose.

To be fair, I suppose you weren't just proposing it here as a thought experiment. You clearly know that for something like this to be successful on any given project, the momentum behind the fork under this license must be much greater than the momentum behind any reasonable alternative. So rallying Apache to this cause, lending it's brand to a second license like this (even if OSI refuses it), convincing a few key projects to commit to it... all that was your reason for it here, right?

On one hand: kudos, because while normally this community would brush away suggestions to accept code under any more restrictive license (the GPL being the main example), it doesn't hurt to occasionally ask if that's still the hill to die on. Times do change, and we face much deeper global crises in 2019 than we did in 1998 or 1995.  The desire for social impact in one's work has not only become core to many programmers, there are companies committing to better cleaner practices of all sorts. A license like this dangles an even bigger carrot to move companies towards better practices and away from ugly ones. And US companies are already required to check conformance with certain blacklists, like OFAC's Specially Designated Nationals list. I'd rather block out the fossil fuels industry than ICE myself...

But on the other hand, there are serious practical issues to this. For example, if ICE couldn't use httpd because of this license, they could just pay a contractor to host a web site for them on httpd or whatever. So we'd have to not only ban organizations on the black list, we'd have to ban companies from using this software on their projects with banned entities.  And how many layers of such indirection do we have to do due diligence around?  Secondly, licenses on code stick around forever and are hard to change, but these third parties could change much more frequently, so how do you protect against Amnesty or others going sideways?  I won't even to mention the enforcement challenges and even the cost of monitoring for that.

But I do think it was a question worth asking, and a better frame than "cloud companies are freeloading" which is the usual gripe these days. Thank you.

Brian

--
Sent via Superhuman^H K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Re: An Apache-Amnesty Open Source License

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.
Hi -

Sorry for top posting, the guy who took down his software also will take down his software when he dies which is certainly a reason not to use his software ever. [1]

Regards,
Dave

[1] https://techcrunch.com/2019/09/23/programmer-who-took-down-open-source-pieces-over-chef-ice-contract-responds/

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by "Wheeler, David A" <dw...@ida.org>.
Danese Cooper:

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Sun, Sep 22, 2019 at 6:41 PM Danese Cooper <da...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I helped run the OSI for 10 years.
>
> Field of Use restrictions are the number one carve out requested by well
> meaning people who wish the OSD would allow them to enforce their morality
> via Open Source license.
>
> In the late 90s it was a desire to limit the use of Open Source within the
> nuclear power and nuclear weapons industries. Here’s the problem with such
> restrictions...they are a slippery slope. You want to limit access by ICE.
> I get that. But somebody else may want to limit use of their software in
> prisons, or by non-Christians...the possibilities are endless. Carving up
> the world of otherwise reusable code into sub-sections by political
> affiliation would quickly undermine the whole point of licenses like the
> AL2.0, which were designed to promote reuse.

This!

Now, I very much do understand where Jeff (and quite a few folks lately)
are coming from. I don't take their position lightly. I wish there was a
neat solution, but fundamentally this is a tension.

It is a tension between the goal of building the biggest pool of re-usable
human knowledge (open source software) vs. the goal of leveraging the value
of that pool for affecting social change.

Both are remarkable endeavors, but anything that threatens fragmentation
and balkanization of that amazing pool has a huge bar to clear to be
justified (at least in my book).

Unfortunately I don't think there's any solution in the realm of licensing
alone that would not have that very unfortunate side effect. Still, I'm
always open to be surprised.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: An Apache-Amnesty Open Source License

Posted by Danese Cooper <da...@gmail.com>.
I helped run the OSI for 10 years.

Field of Use restrictions are the number one carve out requested by well
meaning people who wish the OSD would allow them to enforce their morality
via Open Source license.

In the late 90s it was a desire to limit the use of Open Source within the
nuclear power and nuclear weapons industries. Here’s the problem with such
restrictions...they are a slippery slope. You want to limit access by ICE.
I get that. But somebody else may want to limit use of their software in
prisons, or by non-Christians...the possibilities are endless. Carving up
the world of otherwise reusable code into sub-sections by political
affiliation would quickly undermine the whole point of licenses like the
AL2.0, which were designed to promote reuse.

Late last year the ASF helped demonstrate to Facebook that the additional
obligations imposed by their “Apache plus extra patent-clause” licensing of
React were in fact unsupportable by us. Our refusal to pass on those
additional obligations meant a ban on React code at the ASF. Your proposed
license would receive the same fate, and for the same reason.

Hope this helps you not waste your time.

Danese

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Go for it, then!

Posted by Jeff Ploughman <je...@immutability.io>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeff Ploughman <je...@immutability.io>.
Groups such as Amnesty are already susceptible to being politicized and
being corrupted. Such is an unavoidable and IMHO acceptable risk.

It is quite possible that the trusted 3rd party needs to be a consortium of
3rd parties. Regardless, Seth's action indicates that there may be an
appetite for such a license.

The F/OSS community possesses a great deal of latent political power by
virtue of the fact that the corporate world have tuned their budgets for
years and built their businesses based on the notion that software is free.
In many cases, the community producing this software has a drastically
different value system than the largest consumers of this software. Likely
that disparity will create dynamics that we are just now starting to see.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeff Ploughman <je...@immutability.io>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeff Ploughman <je...@immutability.io>.