Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Gustavo Guerra <gm...@acm.org> on 2004/09/08 13:30:20 UTC

Re: File attributes

Suppose I have a file somefile.txt with the hidden attribute in
c:\somefolder
I do a "svn import file://somerepository/somedir"
Then i go to C:\somefolder2 and do "svn co file://somerepository/somedir". I
got somefile.txt back without the hidden attribute. I would like the file to
comeback with the hidden attribute.
If i manually hide the file again with "attrib +h somefile" when I do
updates, the file continues hidden, that's ok. But if i delete the file, and
update the dir, the file cames back without the hidden attribute again. Also
If I remove the hidden attribute and commit, I would like when someone
checks out in other places, the hidden attribute would go away on update
also.

I currently need this onlu for the hidden attribute, but it also would be
nice to also have for the read-only attribute. I know unix doesn't have the
hidden attribute, but windows doesn't have the executable attribute and you
save it, ignoring it when checking out or updating in windows. I would like
the hidden state to be versioned, and when checked out in unix just ignored.

Regards
Gustavo Guerra

Re: File attributes

Posted by Brooke Benjamin Oehm Smith <br...@tintuna.com>.
Gidday Gustavo,

I've been a SVN-User reader for a while and so feel obliged to make a
contribution.

SVN knows somethng as being "executable" as it sets the SVN property
svn:executable:

 > svn proplist ExecutableFile
svn:executable

The Subversion people could add the automatic use of a hidden property,
or perhaps a Windows client such as SVNTortoise could:
if (svn propget svn:hidden HiddenFile == "*") {
	WindowsSetToHidden(HiddenFile);
}

AND

if (WindowsIsTheFileHidden(HiddenFile)) {
	svn propset svn:hidden HiddenFile;
}

Arbitrary properties can be set though I'd say the ones that start with
'svn:' should be used only by SVN.

Cheers,

Brooke
-------------------

On 08/09/2004, at 23:30, Gustavo Guerra wrote:

Suppose I have a file somefile.txt with the hidden attribute in
c:\somefolder
I do a "svn import file://somerepository/somedir"
Then i go to C:\somefolder2 and do "svn co
file://somerepository/somedir". I
got somefile.txt back without the hidden attribute. I would like the
file to
comeback with the hidden attribute.
If i manually hide the file again with "attrib +h somefile" when I do
updates, the file continues hidden, that's ok. But if i delete the
file, and
update the dir, the file cames back without the hidden attribute again.
Also
If I remove the hidden attribute and commit, I would like when someone
checks out in other places, the hidden attribute would go away on update
also.

I currently need this onlu for the hidden attribute, but it also would
be
nice to also have for the read-only attribute. I know unix doesn't have
the
hidden attribute, but windows doesn't have the executable attribute and
you
save it, ignoring it when checking out or updating in windows. I would
like
the hidden state to be versioned, and when checked out in unix just
ignored.

Regards
Gustavo Guerra

<kf...@collab.net> wrote in message
> "Gustavo Guerra" <gm...@acm.org> writes:
>> Is support for hidden files planned for the future?
>
> It depends on what you mean by "support for hidden files".
>
> Got time to describe the feature you're thinking of in detail?
>
> -Karl

Brooke Smith <no...@optusnet.com.au>

design, v.:
	What you regret not doing later on.