Posted to users@zeppelin.apache.org by Silvio Fiorito <si...@granturing.com> on 2015/10/21 18:44:01 UTC

Need official release packages

For the Zeppelin maintainers,

Just a heads up that I think the lack of official binary releases on the Zeppelin website and GitHub gives the wrong impression. I personally always build from source and package my own distribution, but for visibility and newbies it would be best to have regular release packages. Also if there’s a way to provide packages for current and previous version of Spark that’d probably be good as well.

I’m happy to help in any way. Could we just use Jenkins to punch out packages automatically?

Thanks,
Silvio

Re: Need official release packages

Posted by Silvio Fiorito <si...@granturing.com>.
OK, yeah I’m not entirely familiar with the official Apache release process. I also meant Travis-CI (vs Jenkins) since that’s what you already use for CI. I wonder if it’s ok to at least provide snapshot releases based on the master branch?

I think recurring releases are a good ideas as well as it helps time-box it and make it more predictable (like I know to expect a Spark release every quarter).

From: moon soo Lee
Date: Wednesday, October 21, 2015 at 11:41 PM
To: "users@zeppelin.incubator.apache.org<ma...@zeppelin.incubator.apache.org>"
Subject: Re: Need official release packages

Appreciate for the opinions.

About automatic packaging using Jenkins, in my understanding, it is not how Apache project make release. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Zeppelin community didn't made a lot of releases.
Vinay and many people suggested from online/offline to change release policy to date based (eg. a release every 3 months). And i think it'll help Zeppelin make more releases.

Let me spend some time on https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZEPPELIN-311. Any help on this issue is very appreciated.

Thanks,
moon

On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 1:51 AM Steven Kirtzic <st...@statefarm.com>> wrote:
I agree. For where we are trying to use Zeppelin, our company has MANY different security features which prevent us from fully building from source, so currently the only version of Zeppelin that we can use are the binaries with a particular version of Spark. We’re really hoping that the next version of Zeppelin is available that way as well, as it would be much easier going that route than trying to get around our security precautions (and safer ☺). Anyhow, just my two cents. Thanks,

-Steven

Posted by moon soo Lee <mo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Steven Kirtzic <st...@statefarm.com>.