Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Dave Higgins <da...@secure64.com> on 2006/08/29 21:20:44 UTC

Suse OpenExchange forwarding to Microsoft Exchange

SpamAssassin version 3.1.3
running on Perl version 5.8.8

Systems:
Linux mail 2.4.21-241-smp #1 SMP Tue Aug 10 15:55:34 UTC 2004 i686 unknown

MS Exchange 2003
---
I'm having a strange problem with SpamAssassin running on my Linux box
which then forwards (with .forward) the mail to some users on Exchange.
 When the mail gets scanned and makes it through and then forwards to
Exchange the email comes up completely blank with 'From: Spam Filter
[email@address].  The rest of the email is lost in the ether.

Since I'm not the worlds greatest MS Exchange admin, is there anything I
can do on the Linux side to avoid this?  If not, does anyone know what
to do on the Exchange side?

Dave Higgins
Secure64 Software Corporation
Englewood, Colorado
dave.higgins@secure64.com
--
Old programmers never die, they just branch to a new address.

Re: Suse OpenExchange forwarding to Microsoft Exchange

Posted by Sanford Whiteman <sw...@cypressintegrated.com>.
> I'm  having  a strange problem with SpamAssassin running on my Linux
> box  which  then  forwards (with .forward) the mail to some users on
> Exchange.  When  the mail gets scanned and makes it through and then
> forwards to Exchange the email comes up completely blank with 'From:
> Spam  Filter  [email@address].  The rest of the email is lost in the
> ether.

Are  you  sure  that  the SA caller is not breaking the MIME, and that
some  form  of  the  original  body  is not present (yet not displayed
within OL/OWA)?

Is  this completely predictable for certain messages or certain users?
Have you gotten your hands on a raw message, preferably by copying off
your Linux box in addition to forwarding it to Exchange?

Tell  you  this  much: if you're sending Exchange a truncated message,
there's clearly nothing you can do on the Exchange side, natch.

If  the  MIME  is  still  RFC,  but  OL/OWA won't render it, that's an
OL/OWA/Exchange  problem.  But  if  the  MIME  is indeed non-RFC after
mangling by your MTA/SA caller/SA, kudos to OL/OWA for not "fixing" it
for once....

--Sandy