Posted to dev@cayenne.apache.org by Tore Halset <ha...@pvv.ntnu.no> on 2015/09/04 09:36:55 UTC

java/jdbc version

Hello.

I am trying to solve https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAY-2024

cayenne 4 is java 6. Will it go java 7+ or are we staying on 6? I want to use the new java.sql.Connection#getSchema. It will probably require updated jdbc drivers and dbcp2 as well, so it might be easier to create our own adapter#getSchema(Connection). What do you think?

One more thing, is it okay to send in github pull-requests now or should I push to the actual branch at apache?

Regards,
Tore Halset.

Re: java/jdbc version

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
> On Sep 4, 2015, at 11:02 AM, Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org> wrote:
>

>> On Sep 4, 2015, at 10:53 AM, Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org> wrote:
>>
>>> cayenne 4 is java 6. Will it go java 7+ or are we staying on 6? I want to use the new java.sql.Connection#getSchema. It will probably require updated jdbc drivers and dbcp2 as well, so it might be easier to create our own adapter#getSchema(Connection). What do you think?
>>
>> I've been softly advocating to switch to Java 7 in 4.0 for some time. And I think by now just enough time has passed to  consider Java 6 a distant memory.
>>
>> IIRC Savva either started working or was planning to start working on a DBCP2 module, so we should be covered on that front as well.
>>
>> So maybe we take an (informal?) vote on this and go Java 7?
>
> Just found the last thread on this from a year ago:
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.java.cayenne.devel/12754
>
> Other than IntelliJ IDEA being behind on OSX, there were no concerns. But even if IDEA is running under Java 6, it can be used to develop Java 7 apps. So I think we should switch.
>
> Andrus

Ah, there was also a sub-thread on JEE versions. I think this is what stopped us back then. Anyone has any insight on the state of things with JEE ?

Andrus

Re: java/jdbc version

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.
On 4/09/2015 6:02pm, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

>> On Sep 4, 2015, at 10:53 AM, Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org> wrote:
>>
>>> cayenne 4 is java 6. Will it go java 7+ or are we staying on 6? I want to use the new java.sql.Connection#getSchema. It will probably require updated jdbc drivers and dbcp2 as well, so it might be easier to create our own adapter#getSchema(Connection). What do you think?
>>
>> I've been softly advocating to switch to Java 7 in 4.0 for some time. And I think by now just enough time has passed to  consider Java 6 a distant memory.
>>
>> IIRC Savva either started working or was planning to start working on a DBCP2 module, so we should be covered on that front as well.
>>
>> So maybe we take an (informal?) vote on this and go Java 7?
>
> Just found the last thread on this from a year ago:
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.java.cayenne.devel/12754
>
> Other than IntelliJ IDEA being behind on OSX, there were no concerns. But even if IDEA is running under Java 6, it can be used to develop Java 7 apps. So I think we should switch.

I was one of the "go more slowly" people back then. And that was largely predicated on the difficulty of OSX and its Java implementation.

However since then things have changed. On OSX for most users Java 6 is a thing of the past, and moving to Java 8 is simpler than it was. Swing on Java 8 is pretty good. And of course Java 7SE is now EOL. So most OSX users have left Java 6 behind in my experience.

I'm guessing that for application servers, if you aren't upgrading Java past version 6, you are probably not upgrading Cayenne to the latest milestone beta releases either.

So I'm a +1 on ditching Java 6, and even (if helpful) moving to Java 8 for just the modeler. If we wanted to use JavaFX bits in the UI, that would be helpful.

Ari

--
-------------------------->
Aristedes Maniatis

Re: java/jdbc version

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Re: java/jdbc version

Posted by Savva Kolbachev <s....@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

I've just committed a module for DBCP2 support. I hope it would be helpful.

Best Regards,
Savva Kolbachev

Re: java/jdbc version

Posted by Tore Halset <ha...@pvv.ntnu.no>.