Posted to dev@royale.apache.org by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID> on 2018/03/09 03:37:10 UTC

Migrating Flex Apps to Royale Emulation Components

Hi Folks,

As you hopefully know, we've started on creating new Royale component sets
that more closely match the APIs used in Flex.  These components will not
be 100% backward compatible with Flex, but should go a long way towards
minimizing the number of changes required to your code.

I am pleased to report that we reached a first milestone today. We started
with a simple 3-line Flex Hello World:

<mx:Application xmlns:fx="http://ns.adobe.com/mxml/2009"
    xmlns:mx="library://ns.adobe.com/flex/mx">
  <mx:Label text="Hello World" />
</mx:Application>

This compiles in Flex and produces your generic HelloWorld.swf.  Then we
renamed the mx namespace to point to the MXRoyale emulation components as
shown below:

<mx:Application xmlns:fx="http://ns.adobe.com/mxml/2009"
    xmlns:mx="library://ns.apache.org/royale/mx">
  <mx:Label text="Hello World" />
</mx:Application>

We compiled this app with the Royale compiler and it produced a working JS
Hello World.  The placement of the text wasn’t exactly the same.  That is
still work in progress.  But I think it shows the potential of reducing
the migration effort (but it will not be zero).

It would help greatly to have more folks helping to build out the
emulation components.  We are still smoothing out the process, but we have
tried to document the process in the wiki [1].  If every committer were to
add even one API a day, it would greatly speed up how soon we can provide
this set to migrating users.

Thanks,
-Alex

[1] https://github.com/apache/royale-asjs/wiki/Emulation-Components

Re: Migrating Flex Apps to Royale Emulation Components

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
Great news Alex!

That's promising! :)
Maybe that effort could end having real usable components that works in a
high percentage...Once the components are working I think more people could
eventually help to work in that front to bring the rest of components API.
Maybe no 100% in the end, but could be a 80-90% aproximate to flex and API
components

thanks!

--
Carlos Rovira
http://about.me/carlosrovira

Re: Migrating Flex Apps to Royale Emulation Components

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
Amazing news!

I wish I had the time now to help more with this. It’s likely going be a couple/few weeks before I will. :-(

Harbs

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.
Hi Folks,

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.