Posted to hdfs-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com> on 2016/02/18 23:35:21 UTC

Re: Looking to a Hadoop 3 release

Hi all,

Reviving this thread. I've seen renewed interest in a trunk release since
HDFS erasure coding has not yet made it to branch-2. Along with JDK8, the
shell script rewrite, and many other improvements, I think it's time to
revisit Hadoop 3.0 release plans.

My overall plan is still the same as in my original email: a series of
regular alpha releases leading up to beta and GA. Alpha releases make it
easier for downstreams to integrate with our code, and making them regular
means features can be included when they are ready.

I know there are some incompatible changes waiting in the wings
(i.e. HDFS-6984 making FileStatus a PB rather than Writable, some of
HADOOP-9991 bumping dependency versions) that would be good to get in. If
you have changes like this, please set the target version to 3.0.0 and mark
them "Incompatible". We can use this JIRA query to track:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20in%20(HADOOP%2C%20HDFS%2C%20YARN%2C%20MAPREDUCE)%20and%20%22Target%20Version%2Fs%22%20%3D%20%223.0.0%22%20and%20resolution%3D%22unresolved%22%20and%20%22Hadoop%20Flags%22%3D%22Incompatible%20change%22%20order%20by%20priority

There's some release-related stuff that needs to be sorted out (namely, the
new CHANGES.txt and release note generation from Yetus), but I'd
tentatively like to roll the first alpha a month out, so third week of
March.

Best,
Andrew

Posted by Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Kai,

Sure, I'm open to it. It's a new major release, so we're allowed to make
these kinds of big changes. The idea behind the extended alpha cycle is
that downstreams can give us feedback. This way if we do anything too
radical, we can address it in the next alpha and have downstreams re-test.

Best,
Andrew

Posted by Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Kai,

Posted by Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Kai,

Posted by Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Kai,

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.

Posted by Akira AJISAKA <aj...@oss.nttdata.co.jp>.
+1 for the 3.0 release plan and continuing 2.x releases.
I'm thinking we should consider stopping new 2.x minor releases after
3.x reaches GA.

Thanks,
Akira

Posted by Akira AJISAKA <aj...@oss.nttdata.co.jp>.

Posted by Akira AJISAKA <aj...@oss.nttdata.co.jp>.

Posted by Akira AJISAKA <aj...@oss.nttdata.co.jp>.

Posted by "Gangumalla, Uma" <um...@intel.com>.

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.

Posted by "Gangumalla, Uma" <um...@intel.com>.

Posted by Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Kihwal,

Posted by Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Kihwal,

Posted by Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Kihwal,

Posted by Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Kihwal,

Posted by Kihwal Lee <ki...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Kihwal Lee <ki...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Kihwal Lee <ki...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Kihwal Lee <ki...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Ravi Prakash <ra...@gmail.com>.
+1 for the plan to start cutting 3.x alpha releases. Thanks for the
initiative Andrew!

Posted by Ravi Prakash <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ravi Prakash <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ravi Prakash <ra...@gmail.com>.