Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch> on 2005/03/09 15:22:51 UTC

log4net related IP questions

I am quite embarrassed to ask but what is the foundation's position on
distributing code which depends on the following environments?

- Mono 1.0 (GPL)
- Microsoft .NET Framework 1.0 & 1.1 & Compact Framework 1.0 (Closed Source)
- Microsoft SSCLI 1.0 (Shared Source)

It seems very similar to the situation encountered by all our projects
based on the Java language which is licensed under somewhat ambiguous terms.

Nicko Cadell has compiled a list [1] of additional log4net dependencies.
Could someone of a higher authority confirm that they are OK? In
particular, log4net is built using GPL-licensed Nant, is that a problem
from the foundation's point of view?

[1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=log4net-dev&m=111037622301905&w=2

--
Ceki Gülcü

Re: log4net related IP questions

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
Ceki Gülcü wrote:

> Nicko Cadell has compiled a list [1] of additional log4net dependencies.
> Could someone of a higher authority confirm that they are OK? In
> particular, log4net is built using GPL-licensed Nant, is that a problem
> from the foundation's point of view?

I obviously don't speak with any kind of authority, but we already
distribute many projects that require the GNU autotools, GNU make, etc,
all of which are GPL-licensed.  I don't think a build time dependency is
a problem.

-garrett

Re: log4net related IP questions

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 9 Mar 2005, Brian Behlendorf <br...@collab.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Mar 2005, Ceki Gülcü wrote:

>> In particular, log4net is built using GPL-licensed Nant, is that a
>> problem from the foundation's point of view?
>
> It's not a problem. (An aside - let me get this straight - someone
> took Ant, converted it from Java to C#, and relicensed under the
> GPL?  The nerve of some people!).

Fortunately this is not the case.

NAnt has taken the ideas of Ant but implemented them independently.
By now it is quite different from Ant in many ways - as is MSBuild,
which has taken the ideas of (N)Ant and implements them in a Microsoft
product.

Stefan

Re: log4net related IP questions

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@collab.net>.
On Wed, 9 Mar 2005, Ceki [iso-8859-1] Gülcü wrote:
> I am quite embarrassed to ask but what is the foundation's position on
> distributing code which depends on the following environments?
>
> - Mono 1.0 (GPL)
> - Microsoft .NET Framework 1.0 & 1.1 & Compact Framework 1.0 (Closed Source)
> - Microsoft SSCLI 1.0 (Shared Source)

It's not a problem, even if it's a runtime dependency.  The only problem
arises if the use of any third-party software during development, build,
or use has an effect on the license of the Apache work itself, usually by
saying the Apache work is a "derivative work".  A simple dependency would
not cause that.  Bundling one of those in with a release almost certainly
would, and our current policy (IIRC) is to not redistribute separate
third-party works from apache.org machines, even if they are under open
source licenses.

> It seems very similar to the situation encountered by all our projects based
> on the Java language which is licensed under somewhat ambiguous terms.

There is no risk in simply implementing your own ideas in Java.  It's the
implementation of specifications, be they OASIS or JCP or defined
where ever, that one should think about the IP issues involved.

> Nicko Cadell has compiled a list [1] of additional log4net dependencies.
> Could someone of a higher authority confirm that they are OK? In particular,
> log4net is built using GPL-licensed Nant, is that a problem from the
> foundation's point of view?
>
> [1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=log4net-dev&m=111037622301905&w=2

It's not a problem. (An aside - let me get this straight - someone took
Ant, converted it from Java to C#, and relicensed under the GPL?  The
nerve of some people!).  However, to clarify:

> The release package includes project files for Microsoft Visual Studio
> .NET, however this is not a dependency.

Does this mean these are files copied from (perhaps modified, perhaps not)
the Microsoft product, which originally carried a Microsoft copyright?  Or
are these freshly created files simply designed to work with VS.NET?

 	Brian

Re: log4net related IP questions

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Ceki,

Am not assuming "higher authority"...as a peer, i don't see any
problems, as you don't have their code in our CVS/SVN and release
artifacts.

-- dims

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> what is the foundation's position on distributing code
> which depends on the following environments?

> - Mono 1.0 (GPL)
> - Microsoft .NET Framework 1.0 & 1.1 & Compact Framework 1.0 (Closed
Source)
> - Microsoft SSCLI 1.0 (Shared Source)

How does that differ from code that depends upon Java, or even worse, uses
MS-Windows APIs?  At least in theory, those are ISO standard APIs, right?

If Nicko's comment that "The binary interface and library definitions are
specified by an ECMA/ISO standard regardless of the underlying
implementation" is correct, then we are probably fine, since we do not ship
any of the Microsoft code.