Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Stefan Richter <s....@ververica.com> on 2019/05/07 15:39:18 UTC

[DISCUSS] Change threading-model in StreamTask to a mailbox-based approach

Hi,

we want to start a discussion about changing the threading-model in stream task to a mailbox-based approach:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eDpsUKv2FqwZiS1Pm6gYO5eFHScBHfULKmH1-ZEWB4g/edit?usp=sharing <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eDpsUKv2FqwZiS1Pm6gYO5eFHScBHfULKmH1-ZEWB4g/edit?usp=sharing>

We think that this can greatly improve the usability and maintainability and also is aligning well with the planned changes from FLIP-27 [1]. Looking forward to your comments!

Best,
Stefan

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/FLIP-27%3A+Refactor+Source+Interface

Re: [DISCUSS] Change threading-model in StreamTask to a mailbox-based approach

Posted by Stefan Richter <s....@ververica.com>.
As there have been no objections, we are moving forward with this effort. Progress is tracked here: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-12477 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-12477>

Best,
Stefan

Posted by tao xiao <xi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Stefan,

Can you grant read permission of the doc by default?

On Tue, May 7, 2019 at 11:39 PM Stefan Richter <s....@ververica.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we want to start a discussion about changing the threading-model in stream
> task to a mailbox-based approach:
>

> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eDpsUKv2FqwZiS1Pm6gYO5eFHScBHfULKmH1-ZEWB4g/edit?usp=sharing
> <
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eDpsUKv2FqwZiS1Pm6gYO5eFHScBHfULKmH1-ZEWB4g/edit?usp=sharing
> >

> We think that this can greatly improve the usability and maintainability
> and also is aligning well with the planned changes from FLIP-27 [1].
> Looking forward to your comments!
>
> Best,
> Stefan
>
> [1]