Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com> on 2015/03/21 02:04:58 UTC

Veto! Veto?

Hi all,

If I understand the various documents/pages available regarding voting
correctly, voting a new member in can't be vetoed. Likewise is it with
respect to voting for board members. If I have missed a page somewhere,
please point me to it and I stand corrected.

The following document https://community.apache.org/newcommitter.html
states:

A positive result is achieved by Consensus Approval i.e. at least 3 +1
votes and no vetoes.

Any veto must be accompanied by reasoning and be prepared to defend it.
Other members can attempt to encourage them to change.

While this document talks about getting new committers in a project, it
also seem to be applicable when it comes to getting new PMC members and
even who chairs the PMC.

So how can it be that when it comes to projects, vetoes can be expressed
and block innovation or growth?
One of the reasons I heard when discussing this was that it establishes
control or manageability of the projects member list.

Wouldn't a simple majority (more +1 than -1 votes) yield the same result?
If someone would feel that non-acceptance of a new person would benefit the
project, wouldn’t it be more proper/righteous  that he should put in the
effort and get a majority of votes?

It is understandable why the ASF (and its projects) have the veto principle
regarding code changes as it ensures that the(released) works of the
project are of a higher quality than the previous work, and that the works
don't change to something else than what is stated in the mission of the
project (meaning that e.g. the primary work of the Apache HTTP project -
httpd can't be converted into e.g. foo widget).
When it comes to people (and organisations), vetoes have proven that it is
a means to force consensus into a certain direction. It might have some
valid grounds when only a few have the biggest gun and they want to keep
others from getting the same gun (and thus rights/power), but in a
environment (as the ASF is) that builds on collaboration it is seems
overkill.

What do you think? Is, when it comes to people, the veto mechanism not out
of place for an ASF project?

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

*ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>*
Services & Solutions for Cloud-
Based Manufacturing, Professional
Services and Retail & Trade
http://www.orrtiz.com

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by Rob Vesse <rv...@dotnetrdf.org>.
On 21/03/2015 19:24, "Pierre Smits" <pi...@gmail.com> wrote:

>If in stead of the veto possibility the simple majority rule was at play,
>it might have been so that fewer project would have reported consecutively
>that no new people were onboarded

A lack of new people on-boarded does not necessarily indicate a project in
trouble (though it may do so).  More often than not in my experience (at
least outside of the Incubator which is a special case) it represents an
established mature project with a low rate of turnover and attrition in
the active community.

If the PMC worries they are stagnating personnel wise they should report
that in their board report or a PMC member could report privately to
board@ if they think there is an issue that the PMC is not publicly
acknowledging.

On the other hand if the board thinks the projects lack of new
committers/PMC members is an issue then they can and will follow up on
that with the relevant PMC.

Rob

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
It seems resolution 7.G is a result of the rule of no -1 votes leading to
irreconcilable difference. And the rule of no -1 votes seems to be the
result of the rule to grant the power to veto. In stead of making it
simpler it has added layers.

>From the reports of the various projects that I have read regarding new
people coming on board (or lack thereof) the following stands out: several
projects have stated in consecutive reports that there were no new people
on board. This could well be the result of the rule (no -1 votes), due to
the irreconcilable differences. Irreconcilable differences are like vetoes
expressed.

If in stead of the veto possibility the simple majority rule was at play,
it might have been so that fewer project would have reported consecutively
that no new people were onboarded. Not having the power to veto when it
comes to people should, and I expect will lead to more people on board,
more diversity, more innovation and less hampering of progress, less walks
towards the board (as if there have ever been any) and less complexity in
the rulesets.

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
If person A ‘can’t work’ with person B, in the nomination discussion, if
person A is a reasonable person and sees overwhelming support for person
B, person A should simply vote +0 and try to avoid person B.  It isn’t
like you all work in the same physical office.  Once a group of people
gets large enough, there is always a chance of temporary or long-term
interpersonal conflict between some of the people.  Folks should make
reasonable attempts to show tolerance and get along, but the key for me is
the word “reasonable”.

And this assumes you folks have truly listened to person A.  Is person A
someone who has a better sense of interpersonal dynamics or someone who
has a tendency to hold a grudge?  Why doesn’t person A like person B and
can those who want to vote +1 provide more recent testimony that person B
isn’t going to cause difficulties with every one else that occurred with
person A?  By now person B should have been reasonably active on your
lists.  Any indication of animosity from person B towards person A?

It could just be that person A is the person you’re going to wish never
got voted in.  Or person A is going to turn out to be right and you’ll all
be sorry you used majority approval to let person B in.  How will you
know?  Make sure you and the other voters have thought it through.

-Alex

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Mar 21, 2015 at 11:59 AM, Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> It is sometimes the case that the individual, with power in the community,
> can't work with another 'in his eyes difficult' person.
>
> If his contributions are beneficial to the project, if others in the
> project can work with that second person in the collegia/civil manner that
> is expected in a communityl, how can it be acceptable that that first
> person (the one with power who can't work with the other) can block
> acceptance with a veto.
>
> Voting against is not the same as vetoing!
>
> Suppose one of you (with power) finds me 'difficult' within this community
> (as this community is somewhat similar to any other ASF project). And
> suppose I get nominated as PMC member, because of my good contributions and
> of my ability to work with many others.
>
> How would a veto (to have me in) inspire me to do more for the greater
> good, but in stead lead to cycles towards being a loss for this community?
>
> Vetoing people isn't a community builder. It doesn't help when it comes to
> collaborating. It doesn't help when it comes to diversifying the community.

Actually, I draw almost exactly opposite conclusions from my experience
with Apache.

A person who is difficult to work with for a minority of the community is a
major impediment to growing the community in my experience, especially with
people who are like the minority.  To be more specific, a prolific
contributor who is an ass to women will prevent the project from ever
getting very many women as contributors, much less as committers.

The potential negative side of having been vetoed for a role in the project
is exactly the reason that personnel decisions are debated in private.  It
is much better to not let the person under consideration know about
potential committership or PMC membership until the answer is positive.  It
isn't uncommon for lack of consensus on a nomination is eventually cured
and the vote passes.  Without privacy on the first vote, the second chance
might well not ever happen.

As a small semantic point, whether voting is the same as vetoing depends
strictly on the voting rules in play.  With consensus as the requirement, a
negative vote is exactly the same as a veto.

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
I'd like to suggest backing up from the point where Alex was commenting.

It is an Apache goal to build broad communities, not to build
homogeneous groups. That includes PMC as well as committers. To me,
this suggests that the community-building starts when the person shows
up.

Hypothetical: a new person shows up. That person is contributing. That
person, at least in the eyes of some existing community members, is a
bit difficult. People in the community should be working, actively, to
help that person understand the values of collegiality and community
and to become, as a result, less difficult. So, by the time there's
any possibility of a discussion of PMC membership, that person should
be 'in the range'.

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Sorry, I wasn’t clear.  It isn’t whether the nominee is perceived as an
obstructionist, it is whether one or two of the voters is perceived as an
obstructions.

There are communities where everyone gets along, and there are communities
where there is a person one can construe as a ‘difficult person’.  See
this article [1], if you haven’t already.

[1] http://producingoss.com/en/difficult-people.html

The fact is, both consensus approval and majority approval are subject to
abuse.  In consensus, a single individual can misuse the power of the
veto.  In majority approval, a faction can rule over a smaller faction.
IMO, you should have a goal to get consensus and put in a good faith
effort to get there, but it sounds like your project may need to switch to
majority approval if someone is being unreasonable.

But again, be careful:  When voting in people, these people have to work
together “forever” so selecting the wrong person, or ignoring the wishes
of too many people may end up causing more problems in the end. There is
no one right answer, but there is probably a “best" answer for your
project and it may not be what other projects do.

-Alex

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
On 21 March 2015 at 12:00, Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If the majority perceives that a nominee is an obstructionist then it will
> be reflected in the voting result. But if the minority - or even only one
> voter - perceives that and others don't, then a veto would be a show
> stopper for innovation, expansion and merit recognition c.q. privilege
> awarding.
>
> I wonder how it can be that democracy is perceived worse than any other
> cracy when it comes to people in open source projects in general and ASF
> projects in particular. Mature projects shouldn't need to have such a
> mechanism when it comes to people. And it doesn't seem to fit in he Apache
> Way.

I really hope (and partly) know that our mature project, use the time and
effort on consensus
(something which of course would not work in a community the size of a
country), for these
projects the VOTE is merely a confirmation of the consensus.

Reading this thread you seem to be working your way around a specific
problem/discussion.
Maybe it would be easier to talk about specifics. As written earlier a PMC
can make their own
rules so we do not need to change the general recommendations.

One of the main reasons I am with ASF, is the consensus model, in many
other foundations
you have either pure anarchy (the loudest win) or strong voting rules,
neither is good for the community.

Consensus building is not easy, being the odd voice in a PMC calls for
healthy nerves and a good deal
of diplomacy. But the tough work is rewarded by the fact that the community
stays united.

just my 2ct.
jan I.

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Sat, Mar 21, 2015 at 9:34 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<de...@acm.org> wrote:
> Can someone please link to any place where invitation of committers and of
> PMC members is subject to a veto (as opposed to a need to see if -1
> objections can be cured in discussion of the objection) as a matter of
> policy?

See resolution 7.G from the June 2013 Board minutes.

http://apache.org/foundation/records/minutes/2013/board_minutes_2013_06_19.txt

The official policy is that the Board decides, and under extraordinary
circumstances can even completely reconsitute a PMC through the mechanism of a
Board resolution.  For the common case, though, there are specific procedures
for notifying the Board about new PMC members which result in automatic
changes to PMC composition unless a Board member objects.

*   At any time, the PMC Chair can notify the Board of a proposal to invite a
    new PMC member, and need not point to a VOTE result.
*   Any other PMC member can notify the Board about a candidate, but needs to
    point to "a formal decision by the PMC approving of the appointment".

The Board expects personnel decisions to be made by consensus.  A formal
72-hour VOTE with no -1 votes is one way of demonstrating consensus, but a
DISCUSS thread can be enough if it is clear that consensus has been achieved
and a subsequent VOTE would be a formality.

A project might also establish its own procedures regarding how they achieve
consensus on personnel matters.  The more that those procedures diverge from
the norm, the more scrutiny the project can expect from the Board.

Marvin Humphrey

RE: Veto! Veto?

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
Can someone please link to any place where invitation of committers and of PMC members is subject to a veto (as opposed to a need to see if -1 objections can be cured in discussion of the objection) as a matter of policy?

[One case is that PMC invitations are subject to Board lazy consensus, but that is after the recommendation goes forward from the PMC, and PPMC policy might be different with requirements for mentor concurrence.  I am not asking about those.]

Here is where I see it, <http://www.apache.org/foundation/glossary.html#Veto>.  I presume invitation of committers and PMC members is a procedural issue in this context even when a formal vote is required/conducted).

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Mar 21, 2015 at 8:50 AM, Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I am not talking about the consensus aspect in the principles of the ASF.
> Everybody agrees that it is (one of) the first and foremost principle(s) of
> the ASF. And I expect, like everybody else, that every contributor works
> towards that in any of the projects (and podlings) in any kind of
> situation.
>
> But it happens that sometimes consensus can't be reached and a vote must be
> called. And then a veto doesn't help the project to move forward.

I think that you are looking at the voting process very differently than
many others in this discussion.  In Apache communities that I have been
involved with, a vote is not something that is used to force the community
into action.  At least, it isn't something that I have seen used
successfully.

If a community is seriously wedged, then you have to deal with that
problem.  Simply cramming a majority view down the throats of a minority as
a result of a vote will not have positive outcomes.

> Collegiality and community sense is a two way street.
>
> When a (greater) number of people within a project can collaborate with the
> 'difficult' newcomer, why should it then be possible that the one (or the
> few) with veto power - who don't/doesn't seem to be able to collaborate
> with the 'difficult' newcomer -  can block voting regarding onboarding as
> committer or PMC member?

I should like to point out that those with superior technical or people
skills are, by definition, a minority.  Moreover, those without superior
skills are typically unable to assess these skills (the so-called
Dunning-Kruger effect which is not at all connected to me).

These facts make me very inclined to try to listen to minority voices.  I
am often unsuccessful, but I have seen a very high correlation between not
listening to these and failing in my own personal history.

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.
On Sat, Mar 21, 2015, at 11:50 AM, Pierre Smits wrote:
> When a (greater) number of people within a project can collaborate with
> the 'difficult' newcomer, why should it then be possible that the one (or the
> few) with veto power - who don't/doesn't seem to be able to collaborate
> with the 'difficult' newcomer -  can block voting regarding onboarding as
> committer or PMC member?

Adding a committer or PMC member is an action of trust and shouldn't be
looked at in the same view as code or other technical decisions. It's
*much* harder to reverse adding a person to a project than to grant
committer or PMC status. So while the bar should not be ridiculously
high, it should be approached as a decision that can have serious
consequences down the road.

This is just my experience, but I've been around a number of communities
over the years and I've encountered a few disruptive and difficult
people who (if it'd been an Apache project) I would have -1'ed for
committership or PMC status. They did good work, but were also abrasive
and caused hard feelings for some members of the community. (Usually the
ones the difficult person particularly disliked.) Usually it's a matter
of "death by a thousand cuts" rather than one major issue that you can
point to and say "this person should be removed from the project."

There are a lot of people in open source communities with very thick
skin and/or just happen to be very good at ignoring jerkishness and
focusing on the technical bits. Those are often the folks who call for
voting someone in despite evidence that they are not great at the
"community" bit of "community over code."

No one *should* have to have a thick skin to participate. So, IMO, it's
entirely justified to allow a minority - or even one person - to veto
committer or (especially) PMC status*.

Note that the vetoer(s) should articulate valid reasons for this. Nobody
should be vetoing someone because they simply don't like another person.

A person who's contributing *may* at some point feel unhappy if they are
not offered committer or PMC status, but they will almost certainly feel
unhappy if it is taken away because they turn out to be a "poisonous
person" or just don't get "The Apache Way."

* In those projects that separate committer/PMC.

Best,

jzb
--
Joe Brockmeier
jzb@zonker.net

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
In a healthy community, in my experience:

1: someone starts a DISCUSS thread to propose adding a person.

2: if someone else had serious reservations, they state those reservations

3a: remarks from others cause the person with the reservations to
withdraw them, and the group proceeds to a VOTE.
3b: remarks from the person with the reservations cause the
proposer(s) to take some time to work on the issues and bring the
candidate back later.

In other words, the vote is more of a quorum check than a process of
making a decision.

This is the 90% case. It might be the 99% case. The alternative, in
which a vote proceeds in spite of objections, and majority rules, is
far and away the minority case. If there's such strong disagreement
that you are, first of all, in this minority case, and second of all,
even remotely considering the applicability of a veto to the process,
I would be afraid that you've got some serious community issues and
should be worrying about those.

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

RE: Veto! Veto?

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
I think we should not confuse consensus with unanimity, because a -1 need not cure to a +1.  The procedures are more nuanced than that, <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consensus_decision-making>, and there are many ways a cooperating participant can express their concern.

I do notice that there is confusion about "Consensus Approval" versus "Majority Approval" because the description of "Consensus Approval" uses the "veto" word, <http://www.apache.org/foundation/glossary.html#ConsensusApproval>.

I have seen nothing that requires unanimity in the absence of the veto rule where it *specifically* applies to commits in ASF principles.

I notice that "unanimity" is absent as a term in what I read of ASF principles.  I assume that it is intentional that such a clear term is not used.  I read this as allowing for consent that is not full agreement but is an alignment, almost always with any -1 vote cured.  See for example, the description of ways votes are expressed at <http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html>.

Another important feature of ASF principles that I see is that ASF is not preoccupied with hypotheticals.  The ASF principles have behind them the presumption that people of good will can work out matters in a non-adversarial manner and that the project communities are trusted to do that.  It is what the ASF expects.  And it works.  We have been told repeatedly in this thread how extremely rare it is for it to be otherwise and the feared hypothetical actually arising.

It is good to stop fretting over hypotheticals and simply operate from good will.  If something unfortunate arises, it can be dealt with in whatever the actual context is.

 - Dennis

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
On 23 March 2015 at 09:20, Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>
wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 9:02 AM, Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >  ...if the ASF has as its principle that no vetoes are
> > allowed, how can it be the remit of a project's PMC have it as its
> policy?...
>
> Our PMCs have a lot of leeway and the board doesn't micromanage them.
>
> In our loosely-coupled communities vetoes can give too much power to
> individuals, that's why https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html
> is so restrictive about them.

Sadly enough, for procedural votes, that page leaves everything open,
otherwise it is a good page.
"Procedural Votes or Opinion Polls

*TBS"*

Rgds
jan I.

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

On 03/23/2015 01:31 PM, Ted Dunning wrote:
>> Here's a better not-quite-so-hypothetical example.   A project like MyFaces
>> >has to pass the TCK testing suite provided by Oracle.   We would not want
>> >to allow unrestricted commit access by someone who did not
>> >understand profoundly and intuitively that the JSF API portion of the
>> >project has a predefined public API which cannot be changed.
>
> Some projects feel this way.  Others have found that review is just as
> effective as restricting commit bits tightly.  The classic case is
> Subversion which has a very high profile (and thus is obliged to have
> stable API's).  That PMC offers a commit bit to anyone who asks.
>
> People seem to forget that erroneous commits that pass review can simply be
> reverted.  That is one of the points of using version control.

Well, sure, and as the board, or as comdev, we can say that that's best
practice, and encourage projects to adopt that. But we're not going to
*require* that they do that. Because they might have a different way
that they want to do things, and it's not our job to tell them that
their reasons are invalid.

The ASF exists to facilitate project communities. Not to dictate to them
how they should run their project. Just to make a welcoming place for
them to operate. As such, we keep the MUST rules to a minimum, and the
SHOULD suggestions are where most of our discussion happens.

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
On 24 March 2015 at 16:15, Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> wrote:

> On 03/24/2015 11:01 AM, jan i wrote:
>
>> Consider the scenario a PMC discusses, and the vote is called (indirectly
>> to stop critical voices) early, then a -1 is the only
>> way to express your opinion.
>>
>> When we define rules, as important as this, we should not look so much at
>> the "good weather" situations, but where things dont follow the book,
>> like a vote called on purpose too early.
>>

> In that case, veto the *vote*, not the person.

you are completely right, this is my real concern.

rgds
jan i.

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 11:27 AM, jan i <ja...@apache.org> wrote:
> ...https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html leaves it totally open:
> Procedural Votes or Opinion Polls
> *TBS* ...

The beginning of that page gives good info on procedural votes, so I
have removed this section for now.

If someone wants to flesh it out instead that's possible, but IMO the
"Votes on procedural issues ..." paragraph at the beginning of that
page is good enough.

-Bertrand

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
On 24 March 2015 at 10:43, Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>
wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 10:28 AM, Jacques Le Roux
> <ja...@les7arts.com> wrote:
> > Who will update the https://community.apache.org/newcommitter.html
> page?*
>
> I've done that, it now says "In general, committer elections are
> majority approval votes, as described on the Apache Voting Process
> page" with a link.

+1, a good wording that gives a recommendation without disallowing other
processes.

Since this is really a procedural vote on
https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html which leaves it totally open:
Procedural Votes or Opinion Polls

*TBS*

 It might be a good idea to update that page as well.

rgds

jan I.

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
No worries. Just helping to get to the clearest ASF message. :-)

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

*ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>*
Services & Solutions for Cloud-
Based Manufacturing, Professional
Services and Retail & Trade
http://www.orrtiz.com

On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 11:57 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 3:47 PM, Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> wrote:
> On 03/24/2015 06:43 AM, Pierre Smits wrote:
>> Shouldn't the sentence 'Any veto must be accompanied by reasoning and be
>> prepared to defend it. Other members can attempt to encourage them to
>> change.' then be removed
>> fromhttp://community.apache.org/newcommitter.html?
>
> That sentence, and that sentiment, is incredibly important....

Totally agreed when vetoes are applicable, but Pierre's comment was
made just after I removed the notion of veto just above that phrase.
So it didn't make sense there anymore.

-Bertrand

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 4:00 PM, Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...Consensus in a procedural issue (through voting) is unanimity. Everybody
> agrees....

That's not how I understand our consensus, as in the footnote of [1]
my vision of consensus at the ASF is "widespread agreement among
people who have decision power".

Unanimity is ideal of course, but in our loosely-coupled and
opinionated communities requiring unanimity can block progress.

-Bertrand

[1] https://community.apache.org/apache-way/apache-project-maturity-model.html

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Consensus in a procedural issue (through voting) is unanimity. Everybody
agrees.

In procedural issues the veto principle doesn't work as it stalls
discussion, hardens viewpoints. Leading to people moving away from getting
to a compromise.

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Shouldn't the sentence 'Any veto must be accompanied by reasoning and be
prepared to defend it. Other members can attempt to encourage them to
change.' then be removed from http://community.apache.org/newcommitter.html?

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

*ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>*
Services & Solutions for Cloud-
Based Manufacturing, Professional
Services and Retail & Trade
http://www.orrtiz.com

On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 10:43 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 2:33 PM, Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com> wrote:
> ...The ambiguity of voting.html has long irritated me and it was on my
> own internal list of policies to clarify.  I figured I would tackle it
> later because it is so fundamental, but perhaps it will force itself
> onto the agenda sooner....

That document has the advantage of being concise, we shouldn't lose that.

I personally don't like the way
https://community.apache.org/newcommitter.html and similar pages
duplicate information instead of referring to it - fixing that is a
big task, but I agree that it's long overdue.

-Bertrand

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
On Tuesday, March 24, 2015, Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 8:33 AM, Marvin Humphrey <marvin@rectangular.com
> <javascript:;>>
> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 2:43 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz
> > <bdelacretaz@apache.org <javascript:;>> wrote:
> > page?*
> > >
> > > I've done that, it now says "In general, committer elections are
> > > majority approval votes, as described on the Apache Voting Process
> > > page" with a link.
> >
> > That's not my understanding. It's not what I've heard from the Board
> > over the years, particularly from Greg. And I believe that it's for a
> > very good reason that personnel votes at Apache are not majority rule:
> > majority rule forces a result rather than creates consensus.
> >

> I dislike all voting, yes. Consensus through discussion is definitely a
> better approach.
>
> Concretely: I don't think there is any specific recommendation for how a
> PMC/community decides upon new committers. I've seen many mechanisms. In
> fact, within Apache Subversion, a committer can be added by any *singular*
> PMC member, no vote required (but their resulting commit rights are
> limited).

Just for my understanding,  does subversion have 2 types of committer one
with the full subversion repo bit, and another limited (to part of the
repo) ?

rgds
jan i

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 2:47 PM, Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> ...I dislike all voting, yes. Consensus through discussion is definitely a
> better approach....

That's why I wrote " *in general*, committer elections are..." at
https://community.apache.org/newcommitter.html - I think that page
needs more reworking than that, so consider that just a quick fix that
goes in the right direction.

-Bertrand

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
D**n. Type-ahead....

If it weren't all that difficult and important to do the righteous thing,
we wouldn't have all the 'voting' aspects defined in our by-laws, and we
could run the ASF as one of its projects.

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
If it weren't all that difficult and imported to do the righteous thing, we

Veto! Veto?

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
IMO, voting is simply formalizing an already achieved consensus.
Voting can also be done to gauge a consensus, but only if done
informally, IMO (e.g. "I think we should do Foo. What do you all
thing?" and then wait for some +1s, -0s, etc...).

You drive consensus by discussion and collaboration and
compromise; not by voting.

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 9:47 AM, Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In fact, within Apache Subversion, a committer can be added by any *singular*
> PMC member, no vote required (but their resulting commit rights are
> limited).

How does that interact/co-exist with UCB?

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com

RE: Veto! Veto?

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
I think it is great that there are all of these views on the importance of consensus and how that ties to the nurturing of community and harmony toward a common purpose.  I wouldn't even hang around ASF, after having grasped what little of that as I have, if it was not the case.

And it is obvious, from this discussion, that there needs to be room for a PMC to establish where they stand on certain kinds of deliberation and resolution.  And that is something the PMC determines by whatever the starting process is.

A concern I have is related to podlings, ones that do not have many experienced committers, where customization happens without explanation by mentors and newbies will be launched into the world with different ideas about how things are.

For me, I am thinking that simple principles, in particular what -1 means when it is not the specific case of a release or commit, need to have simple practices that everyone can use as a starting point before having to understand the nuances. (And I am not in favor of -1 from anyone counting as a hard-stop veto, which is what I have been seeing in at least one place.)

The requirement for mentor concurrence on personnel matters is also an opportunity for coaching if things seem to be going pear-shaped. (I don't know that is a principle for podlings, it is how it worked when AOO was in the incubator.  We also did not have any mentors go native.)

Another thing has to do with confusion of committer invitation and [P]PMC invitation.  I understand that a combined invitation is trumped by the [P]PMC policies and there are *specific* procedures in place for how concurrence of higher powers is obtained before an invitation should be presented to the invitee.  And, while different PMCs have different ways of doing all of this, I think it is important to understand that they are different things and local principles will determine how they are amalgamated, discussed, and resolved and whether invariably tied together.

I'm not seeking some sort of absolutism.  I do think there needs to be a reasonable stable ground for the principles, ones that can be easily followed, and that lean toward the fostering of community.  I don't think it is a good idea to be all over the map when a PPMC fires up with initial committers that are not ASF vaccinated and whose further arrivals need not be either.

 - Dennis

RE: Veto! Veto?

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
In more-formal arrangements, do-overs must be initiated by someone whose vote was on the prevailing side of the previous deliberation.  This is a way to avoid constant reconsideration in what is more like an adversarial procedure.  The local government where I live is in a state of perpetual reconsideration via voter initiatives.

I think the idea for Apache is that if this situation arises, there is a breakdown in the community.  We have some awful examples in my country of what happens when that becomes toxic and legislatures would rather fight than govern.

After consensus, of course, reconsideration is always possible based on new information or some other change in the state of affairs, unless there is some serious gaming going on.

 - Dennis

I agree: consensus reached through discussion as far better than having to
do the (majority rule) vote. As with that, you -for sure - don't always get
what you want.

But it is - by far-the best alternative available to keep movement in a
project. And do-overs are possible.

Pierre

Op dinsdag 24 maart 2015 heeft Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> het volgende
geschreven:

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.
I believe Ross Gardler, our current president said it extremely well:

        The Apache Way works because of our core principles of
        consensus building within a meritocratic structure. We are not
        a democracy, nor are we an oligarchy.

As Jim said, and this is true in the projects I am active, the point
of the vote is to either gauge consensus or to formalize consensus.
We +1/+0/-1 out of tradition.  But we would arrive at the exact same
conclusion if we skipped all that and just left it as a DISCUSS
thread.

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
<bd...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 10:28 AM, Jacques Le Roux
> <ja...@les7arts.com> wrote:
>> Who will update the https://community.apache.org/newcommitter.html page?*
>
> I've done that, it now says "In general, committer elections are
> majority approval votes, as described on the Apache Voting Process
> page" with a link.

That's not my understanding. It's not what I've heard from the Board
over the years, particularly from Greg. And I believe that it's for a
very good reason that personnel votes at Apache are not majority rule:
majority rule forces a result rather than creates consensus.

The ambiguity of voting.html has long irritated me and it was on my
own internal list of policies to clarify.  I figured I would tackle it
later because it is so fundamental, but perhaps it will force itself
onto the agenda sooner.

I contend that the reasoning applied in this thread that personnel
votes are "procedural votes" is not correct, and that therefore it
does not follow that they are majority rule.

Marvin Humphrey

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Who will update the https://community.apache.org/newcommitter.html page?*

This line
     A positive result is achieved by Consensus Approval i.e. at least 3 +1 votes and no vetoes.

I could be wrong but I don't think I can... (not a member)

Thanks

Jacques

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 9:39 AM, Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> wrote:
> If a project decides not to make a certain individual a committer, the Board
> *will not* step in to police that, as you say. It is the project's decision
> who will be a committer.

Right. At the same time if the hypothetical PMC repeatedly fails at fostering
the community by recognizing certain types of merit I will expect the board to
get involved at some point. But! It will expect it to get involved b/c
of the community
shepherding issue, not so much because a procedural guideline has
been violated.

I know this may be irritatingly nebulous (especially to folks who haven't been
around long enough to benefit from the ASF osmosis) but I feel this is
one the key things I *really* like about how ASF is governed.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

On 03/23/2015 05:39 AM, Pierre Smits wrote:
> The ASF defines the boundaries by with the projects are allowed to operate
> under its umbrella. If a project doesn't want to adhere to that, it doesn't
> belong under its umbrella.
>
> If one of its principles or boundaries is community over code and if the
> ASF wants that the diversity within the communities of it projects is
> reflected in the group of committers and in PMC, how can it then be that a
> PMC may have it different and can veto on- and off-boarding of persons of
> the other kind?
>
> And by the way: Yes, it is the task of the ASF (meaning every person within
> the greater community of the ASF, contributor, committer, PMC member, VP
> and etc) to guard that the principles of the ASF are upheld. As it is the
> task of the Board to police.

The board doesn't like to be the police.

The "policy" document that is being cited is what is promoted at the
Foundation level as best practice, but individual projects are at
liberty to adopt those guidelines, or not, as long as fundamentals are
respected.

If a project decides not to make a certain individual a committer, the
Board *will not* step in to police that, as you say. It is the project's
decision who will be a committer.

Some projects adopt a "universal committer bit" policy, while others
have specific guidelines for inviting a committer. And there's
everything in between. The board is not going to police this.

Your question - "how can it be" - has a simple answer. Because the board
isn't here to tell projects how to make their technical decisions, and
inviting a committer is at the heart of technical decisions, because it
hands those decisions to a new person. The board is not going to tell a
project how to invite committers.

The board, and comdev, will say "here's how we think things should go",
but there's a lot of room between a mature project like httpd, where
someone has 20 years worth of information to read about how to get
started, and a newer project like, say, Open Climate Workbench, which
requires a deep understanding of climate science to contribute
meaningfully**, which completely justifies different levels of "barrier
to entry" when it comes to inviting committers.

--Rich

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

On 03/23/2015 12:44 PM, Alex Harui wrote:

> On 3/23/15, 2:39 AM, "Pierre Smits" <pi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> If one of its principles or boundaries is community over code and if the
>> ASF wants that the diversity within the communities of it projects is
>> reflected in the group of committers and in PMC, how can it then be that a
>> PMC may have it different and can veto on- and off-boarding of persons of
>> the other kind?
>
> A healthy community can have vetoes for people actions and never mis-use
> them.  Vetoes are supposed to have a justification for the veto attached
> to it.  Vetoes based on discrimination should probably result in the
> vetoer getting removed from the PMC if they refuse to rescind their veto.
>
> It sounds like your community should not be allowing vetoes.  Start the
> process of making that change and ask for board support if you need it
> since there is precedent for this very thing.  That newcommitter page cost
> at least one other project some serious time.

The board is going to be VERY reluctant to tell a PMC how to invite
committers. I would almost go so far as to say that the board WILL NOT
do that, unless there's compelling evidence that the PMC is being
anti-community in their practices - for example, refusing to select
committers with particular corporate affiliations, or people of
particular race/gender/creed.

Yes, a DISCUSS conversation should have resolved difficulties before it
ever came to a VOTE, and it's regrettable that it didn't. Indeed, it's
regrettable, in my opinion, that a committer should be vetoed at all.
But it's not the role of the board to dictate to a project who they
should give the commit bit to.

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
An opinion poll is not the same as voting on a procedural issue.

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
HI Bertrand,

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 6:04 PM, Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Wouldn't a simple majority (more +1 than -1 votes) yield the same result?

Majority rule votes degrade community.  Whenever you have a contended vote,
you produce losers who feel alienated[1].  In contrast, consensus decision
making forces the majority to take account of minority opinions.  The
negotiation process may frustrate everyone to some extent, but it's less
exclusionary.

Avoiding majority rule and preferring consensus is one of the fundamental
design decisions which have made Apache successful.  The same community might
well produce different solutions to the same problem depending on the rules
for resolving conflict.

In the case of a VOTE to invite a new PMC member, there's no way to negotiate
an alternative solution to take into account the concerns of the minority.
However, those in favor will have to account for those concerns and those
opposed will need to defend their stance.  The act of talking things through
should help to keep the community whole.

Marvin Humphrey

[1] Anime explanation of how majority-rule voting alienates the minority:
    http://www.crunchyroll.com/hunter-x-hunter/episode-10-trick-x-to-the-x-trick-585058?t=429
    (Warning: autoplay video and multiple ads before the content starts)

Re: Veto! Veto?

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
On 3/20/15 9:04 PM, Pierre Smits wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> If I understand the various documents/pages available regarding voting
> correctly, voting a new member in can't be vetoed. Likewise is it with
> respect to voting for board members. If I have missed a page somewhere,
> please point me to it and I stand corrected.

Board and new Member voting at the Foundation level are clearly
documented - note that these are specific procedures that are
*different* from best practices for PMC voting on new committers.

  https://wiki.apache.org/general/MemberVoting
  https://wiki.apache.org/general/BoardVoting

In particular since the Board voting process uses STV there are only
positive votes, no negative votes for candidates (obviously, you can
withhold voting from some candidates).

> The following document https://community.apache.org/newcommitter.html
> states:

That also notes at the top:

"Each project has different approaches to managing new committers, this
page describes a common process found in many Apache projects"

It is important to have best practices for all projects, and for
projects to document their own specific ways to make decisions.  But the
bigger point is to work towards a consensus among the active
contributing PMC members and/or committers within a project.

In many cases, a key way to make this a smoother process is ensuring you
hold a [DISCUSS] thread about "hey, I'm thinking of nominating X for
committer" first.  IF there are objections during the discussion that
some people can clearly explain, you usually put things on hold for a
period to see if whatever is being objected too can be corrected.

- Shane