Posted to hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org by Sakthivel Murugasamy <sa...@gmail.com> on 2011/07/15 11:09:30 UTC

Re: Namenode not get started. Reason: FSNamesystem initialization failed.

Dear Team,

I have loaded 3.6GB of compressed(bz2) directly into Hive, after that I ran
a simple "*select query*", namenode got crashed.
There after not able to start namenode.

Envoronment:

   - CentOS release 5.5 (Final), Hadoop Version: 0.20.2
   - Cluster size: 18 node
   - NameNode & SecondaryNamenode are in the same Machine

It seems editlogs/fsimage got corrupted, I haven't take any backup
separately, below is the exception

2011-07-14 23:37:43,378 ERROR
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem: FSNamesystem
initialization failed.
java.io.FileNotFoundException: File does not exist:
/opt/data/tmp/mapred/system/job_201107041958_0120/j^@^@^@^@^@^@

*Please find detailed exception in namenode's log file attached.*

Earlier, I have also posted in JIRA,
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-7458 , Jakob Homan directed me
to post in hdfs user's list.

Will there be any backup in SecondaryNamenode? Could you please assist me to
recover Namenode from this issue?

Thanks,
Sakthivel

Re: Namenode not get started. Reason: FSNamesystem initialization failed.

Posted by Sakthivel Murugasamy <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,

Thank you so much for your valuable solutions!

*Problem got resolved, but significant time+data loss*(since we were running
on an experimental basis, reloaded fewer GB of the data). I used
-importCheckpoint option.

I just would like to tell you the possible scenario/reason of editlog
corruption might have happened(correct me if I am wrong),

Below were the typical configurations in hdfs-site.xml

   - hadoop.tmp.dir : */opt/data*/tmp
   - dfs.name.dir : */opt/data*/name
   - dfs.data.dir : */opt/data*/data
   - mapred.local.dir  : ${hadoop.tmp.dir}/mapred/local

*/opt/data *is an mounted storage, size is 50GB. Namenode,
SecondaryNamenode( ${hadoop.tmp.dir}/dfs/namesecondary) & Datanode
directories were configured within */opt/data *itself.

Once I moved 3.6GB compressed(bz2) file, I guess */opt/data *memory usage of
this dir. could have been 100%(I checked($df -h) after this incident). Then,
I ran Hive with simple* "Select" *query, its job.jar files also needs to be
created within the same directory which already has no space. So this is how
the editlog corruption could have been occurred.

This is really a good learning for me! Now I have changed that
configurations.

Thanks again,
Sakthivel