Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Joost de Heer <sa...@xs4all.nl> on 2006/01/06 11:42:02 UTC

[users@httpd] Double authentication for a website?

I have a reverse proxy which needs double authentication: First the
reverse proxy itself has an authentication, and then the machine that is
reverse proxied to has authentication.

Software used:
- Apache 2.2.0 on Linux (Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 3 (Taroon
Update 6), running kernel 2.4.21-37.ELsmp)
- mod_auth_xradius 0.4.6

Despite mod_auth_xradius being used, I have the feeling that this is an
Apache issue and not a radius issue.

I have configured the server as follows (and if you ask 'why ExtFilter'?
mod_proxy_html crashed on this server):

ExtFilterDefine revproxy cmd="/bin/sed s/http:..172.28.0.1[56]//g"
mode=output outtype=text/html

<VirtualHost 145.7.1.73:443>
  SSLEngine on
  ServerName xxx.yyy.zzz

  SSLCertificateFile conf/ssl/xxx.yyy.zzz.cer
  SSLCertificateKeyFile conf/ssl/xxx.yyy.zzz.key
  SSLCertificateChainFile conf/ssl/ca.cer

  ProxyPass /balancer !
  ProxyPass / balancer://webmailcluster/
  ProxyPassReverse / http://172.28.0.15
  ProxyPassReverse / http://172.28.0.16

  <Location />
    ProxyPassReverse /
    SetOutputFilter revproxy

    AuthName "Token authenticatie verplicht"
    AuthType basic
    AuthXRadiusAddServer 172.28.0.8 XXXXXX
    AuthXRadiusTimeout 5
    AuthXRadiusRetries 2
    Require valid-user
  </Location>

  <Proxy balancer://webmailcluster>
    BalancerMember http://172.28.0.15
    BalancerMember http://172.28.0.16
  </Proxy>
</VirtualHost>

However, this results in a 500 internal server error and the following
error is logged:

[Thu Jan 05 10:10:15 2006] [crit] [client IPaddress] configuration error:
couldn't check access.  No groups file?: /

When I add 'Satisfy any', everything works, but then the radius
authentication is skipped.

- Why is Apache complaining about a groupfile, while I never configured
anything needing a groupfile?
- Is this situation an unsupported scenario, or am I doing something wrong?

If any more information is needed, let me know.

Joost

Re: [users@httpd] Double authentication for a website?

Posted by "Neil A. Hillard" <hi...@whl.co.uk>.
Joost,

Joost de Heer wrote:
> I have a reverse proxy which needs double authentication: First the
> reverse proxy itself has an authentication, and then the machine that
> is reverse proxied to has authentication.

We're using a similar setup and using the following in our
configuration.  For users who need to be in a specific group (munged to
protect the innocent):

<Location /secure>
  AuthType Basic
  AuthName "Unauthorised access prohibited"
  AuthXRadiusAddServer "192.168.1.1:1645" "secret"
  AuthXRadiusTimeout 2
  AuthXRadiusRetries 2

  AuthUserFile      /dev/null
  AuthGroupFile     /etc/httpd/conf/groups.conf
  AuthAuthoritative Off

  require group access
  Satisfy any
</Location>

And for any valid member:

<Location /secure>
  AuthType Basic
  AuthName "Unauthorised access prohibited"
  AuthXRadiusAddServer "192.168.1.1:1645" "secret"
  AuthXRadiusTimeout 2
  AuthXRadiusRetries 2

  AuthUserFile      /dev/null
  AuthGroupFile     /etc/httpd/conf/groups.conf
  AuthAuthoritative Off

  require valid-user
  Satisfy any
</Location>

There's a group file specified for both as that chunk of configuration
is actually included from a separate file.  You should be able to
specify /dev/null for the group file.

You will not, however, be able to perform basic authentication on both
the accelerator _and_ the backend server.  Because they both share the
same headers it'll never work (unless the usernames and passwords are
the same and you forward them from the accelerator).

HTH,

				Neil.

--
Neil Hillard                    hillardn@whl.co.uk
Westland Helicopters Ltd.       http://www.whl.co.uk/

Disclaimer: This message does not necessarily reflect the
             views of Westland Helicopters Ltd.