Posted to yarn-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com> on 2015/10/18 20:18:26 UTC

When does the RM ever send out node map updates?

I've been modifying the slider AM to wait for NM updates of node maps -but I'm not seeing any onNodesUpdated() callbacks, at least for an AM which doesn't instantiate any containers.

When/how do those updates come?

Re: When does the RM ever send out node map updates?

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.

> IIUC, it is not possible now. Probably a bug which was missed till now!!
> OR
> Does all the applications need to know all the nodes updates in a cluster? It could be 1000 nodes , 10K nodes.
>
> And  how about when node label is configured.?

my AM needs to know the map because it's trying to support anti-affinity in resource requests (SLIDER-82), with the plan being "ask for any node that isn't already in use by that component type"). Some people have suggested blacklisting, but that would block all the other outstanding requests for other components.

The AM would be happy with a node map and then update events as things change.

RE: When does the RM ever send out node map updates?

Posted by Rohith Sharma K S <ro...@huawei.com>.
>>> how does the AM determine the map of nodes.
IIUC, it is not possible now. Probably a bug which was missed till now!!
OR
Does all the applications need to know all the nodes updates in a cluster? It could be 1000 nodes , 10K nodes.

And  how about when node label is configured.?

Thanks & Regards
Rohith Sharma K S

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.
Thanks for that snippet.