Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de> on 2009/08/06 14:07:46 UTC

Release: no progress

Folks,

we don't seem to be getting any closer to be able to
build the sandbox.  I will personally not have much
time for UIMA in the next few coming months.  I'm
wondering if we should scale down our ambitious
release plans and just do a core release, like we've
done in the past.  The core seems to be in good shape,
and we have people waiting for the performance
improvements we made since the last release.

Alternatively, we can wait until everything is ready,
but at the rate things are going right now, that could
be a long while.  Opinions or alternative suggestions?

--Thilo

Re: Release: no progress

Posted by Eddie Epstein <ea...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jukka,

It's been hard doing releases because of delays getting them approved
by the incubator. That's why we wanted to release everything in one
shot this time :)

Eddie

Re: Release: no progress

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: Release: no progress

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.
Marshall Schor wrote:
> Thilo Goetz wrote:
>> Eddie Epstein wrote:
>>
>>> Let's pick a date for a first release candidate, say August 28,
>>> and get different people to take responsibility for various packages
>>> to be ready. Then we do a status check on that date to see what
>>> goes forward?
>>>
>> I'm sorry to say that I'll have virtually no time for UIMA
>> in September and October.  I'm not opposed to this plan,
>> but somebody else would have to step forward and do the
>> overall release management.
>>

> Thanks for all your work so far on this, Thilo :-)
>
> I would like to see a full release go out, and agree with Eddie on his
> thoughts for making better progress.
>
> If no one else steps forward in the by tomorrow (how's that for a
> deadline?), I'll volunteer to be the release manager for this cycle.

Well Marshall, I think the job is yours ;-)  Thanks for
taking the lead on this.

Re: Release: no progress

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Re: Release: no progress