Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Hendrik Maryns <qw...@sneakemail.com> on 2008/12/04 15:05:10 UTC

Why does a merge Replace my files instead of merging them?

Hi,

As regulars here might have noticed, I’m having a hard time merging.  I
think I got it to work now, but one thing annoys me: Subversion replaces
some files instead of merging them.  Indeed the merge output gives:

…
/home/hendrik/workspace/MonaSearch-visualization/src/de/uni_tuebingen/sfb/lichtenstein/formulas/FirstOrderVariable.java
/home/hendrik/workspace/MonaSearch-visualization/src/de/uni_tuebingen/sfb/lichtenstein/formulas/FirstOrderExistentialQuantification.java
/home/hendrik/workspace/MonaSearch-visualization/src/de/uni_tuebingen/sfb/lichtenstein/formulas/Precedence.java
/home/hendrik/workspace/MonaSearch-visualization/src/de/uni_tuebingen/sfb/lichtenstein/UI/UIBuilder.java
/home/hendrik/workspace/MonaSearch-visualization/src/de/uni_tuebingen/sfb/lichtenstein/UI/FormulaTransferHandler.java
/home/hendrik/workspace/MonaSearch-visualization/src/de/uni_tuebingen/sfb/lichtenstein/UI/ResultView.java
/home/hendrik/workspace/MonaSearch-visualization/src/de/uni_tuebingen/sfb/lichtenstein/UI/StringTransferHandler.java
/home/hendrik/workspace/MonaSearch-visualization/src/de/uni_tuebingen/sfb/lichtenstein/treebanks/TreebankConverter.java
/home/hendrik/workspace/MonaSearch-visualization/src/de/uni_tuebingen/sfb/lichtenstein/treebanks/Sentence.java
     G /home/hendrik/workspace/MonaSearch-visualization/src/Mona
/home/hendrik/workspace/MonaSearch-visualization/.externalToolBuilders
…

Why is that?  E.g. the file ResultView.java should definitely have been
merged.  It is very annoying, since now I have to do ‘Compare with… →
Latest from repository’ in Eclipse and solve all the differences
manually, where most could be done by simple merging.

Is there a way to do the merging post-hoc?

TIA, H.
--
Hendrik Maryns

Re: Why does a merge Replace my files instead of merging them?

Posted by Hendrik Maryns <qw...@sneakemail.com>.
Op 05-12-08 20:05 heeft Paul Koning als volgt van zich laten horen:

>  Hendrik> Simon Lucy schreef:
>  >> Hendrik Maryns wrote:
>  >>> Hi,
>  >>>
>  >>> As regulars here might have noticed, I’m having a hard time
>  >>> merging.  I think I got it to work now, but one thing annoys me:
>  >>> Subversion replaces some files instead of merging them.  Indeed
>  >>> the merge output gives:
>  >>>
>  >> Are you sure you have mime types for .java files?  If subversion
>  >> thinks they're binary they'll always get replaced rather than
>  >> merged.
>
>  Hendrik> It wasn’t the mime type, but rather svn:executable was set
>  Hendrik> for no particular reason.  I removed that property, hoping
>  Hendrik> that will help in the future.
>
> That should not be the reason -- it's perfectly normal to have
> executable text files.  (Scripts)

I agree with ‘should not’, but it seems like it was, since there was
nothing else peculiar about those files.  In particular, svn:mime-type
was not set, nor was any other property.

So is this a bug I should report?  I will try and see whether it works
correctly now.

Cheers, H.

Posted by Paul Koning <Pa...@dell.com>.

 Hendrik> Simon Lucy schreef:
 >> Hendrik Maryns wrote:
 >>> Hi,
 >>>
 >>> As regulars here might have noticed, I’m having a hard time
 >>> merging.  I think I got it to work now, but one thing annoys me:
 >>> Subversion replaces some files instead of merging them.  Indeed
 >>> the merge output gives:
 >>>
 >> Are you sure you have mime types for .java files?  If subversion
 >> thinks they're binary they'll always get replaced rather than
 >> merged.

 Hendrik> It wasn’t the mime type, but rather svn:executable was set
 Hendrik> for no particular reason.  I removed that property, hoping
 Hendrik> that will help in the future.

That should not be the reason -- it's perfectly normal to have
executable text files.  (Scripts)

	   paul

Re: Why does a merge Replace my files instead of merging them?

Posted by Hendrik Maryns <qw...@sneakemail.com>.
Simon Lucy schreef:
> Hendrik Maryns wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> As regulars here might have noticed, I’m having a hard time merging.  I
>> think I got it to work now, but one thing annoys me: Subversion replaces
>> some files instead of merging them.  Indeed the merge output gives:
>>
> Are you sure you have mime types for .java files?  If subversion thinks
> they're binary they'll always get replaced rather than merged.

It wasn’t the mime type, but rather svn:executable was set for no
particular reason.  I removed that property, hoping that will help in
the future.

Thanks, H.

Posted by Simon Lucy <si...@objective2k.com>.