Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2009/04/17 14:40:18 UTC

Incompatibly licensed files in SVN

ant elder wrote:
> Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> > sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > As far as I know, putting a file in a publicly accessible SVN
> > > repository is considered as distribution too.
> > No, I am very positive that this is not the case. Legal dilligence is
> > done on the release artifacts separately from SVN issues. Unlike
> > release artifacts, SVN are at times incomplete, incorrect and
> > inaccurate. "Tags" have no legal meaning whatsoever, and should not
> > even be part of the discussion.
> And that matches "What is a release?" in the ASF Releases FAQ (although
SVN
> its not explicitly mentioned): http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#what

Release != Distribution.  IANAL, nor is anyone else here last time I
checked.  It really should be a matter for legal-* to settle.

	--- Noel

Re: Incompatibly licensed files in SVN

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 8:40 PM, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:

> Release != Distribution.  IANAL, nor is anyone else here last time I
> checked.  It really should be a matter for legal-* to settle.

Fair enough, but there are certain absolutes of difference between the
moving target called SVN and the 'distributed via mirrors' release
artifacts, that can not be discounted nor ignored.

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

I  live here; http://tinyurl.com/2qq9er