Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com> on 2015/11/09 16:32:19 UTC

Next release...

What is the thinking on cutting 5.4? It looks like the CCR (SOLR-6273)
is about ready to rock-n-roll. It's a lot of code, and I don't want to
push it into 5x just before we cut the next release. So if 5.4 is
imminent I'd like to know for my planning.

Thanks!
Erick

Re: Next release...

Posted by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>.
Created a blocker https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-8269 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-8269> so we don’t forget… There could be other workarounds than waiting for their release, feel free to degrade priority if necessary.

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com

Re: Next release...

Posted by Adrien Grand <jp...@gmail.com>.

Re: Next release...

Posted by Susheel Kumar <su...@gmail.com>.
CDCR will help many of the folks who are currently trying other
alternatives. Would love to see coming this out sooner and providing
feedback.

Re: Next release...

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.

Re: Next release...

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Adrien:

Re: Next release...

Posted by Adrien Grand <jp...@gmail.com>.

Re: Next release...

Posted by Jack Krupansky <ja...@gmail.com>.
Bummer... the prospect of Credence Clearwater Revival having a new release
had me going there.

-- Jack Krupansky

Re: Next release...

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Make that CDCR....

Re: Next release...

Posted by "david.w.smiley@gmail.com" <da...@gmail.com>.
+1 to not sooner than February 2016 (one year later)

Re: Next release...

Posted by Adrien Grand <jp...@gmail.com>.

Re: Next release...

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Are there any tentative (not firm commitments) time frames for 6.0? If
there is it'll help me figure out the right thing to do here.

I'm about to incorporate SOLR-8263 and beast. If that all works out,
I'm thinking of declaring victory here and closing both SOLR-8263 and
SOLR-6273. There haven't been any Jenkins failures in a while,
although these tests are only run nightly. But they used to fail very
regularly.

I need to decide whether or not to backport and knowing any plans for
6.0 would help. I've already backported SOLR-6273 locally to 5x, and
I'll backport and test 8263 over the weekend so I have a clue about
the effort involved.

I'd like to get this into people's hands sooner rather than later,
although Marks point about this being an "ideal" 6.0 feature is well
taken.

Re: Next release...

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.
A sort of related thought.

Re: Next release...

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Mark:

Re: Next release...

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

shalinmangar@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Erick,
>
> I believe SOLR-8263 can cause data loss problems in CDCR so I don't
> think we should put CDCR in 5.4 unless that issue is fixed first.
>
> On Mon, Nov 9, 2015 at 9:02 PM, Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > What is the thinking on cutting 5.4? It looks like the CCR (SOLR-6273)
> > is about ready to rock-n-roll. It's a lot of code, and I don't want to
> > push it into 5x just before we cut the next release. So if 5.4 is
> > imminent I'd like to know for my planning.
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Erick

> Regards,
> Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

- Mark
about.me/markrmiller

Re: Next release...

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Erick,

I believe SOLR-8263 can cause data loss problems in CDCR so I don't
think we should put CDCR in 5.4 unless that issue is fixed first.

On Mon, Nov 9, 2015 at 9:02 PM, Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What is the thinking on cutting 5.4? It looks like the CCR (SOLR-6273)
> is about ready to rock-n-roll. It's a lot of code, and I don't want to
> push it into 5x just before we cut the next release. So if 5.4 is
> imminent I'd like to know for my planning.
>
> Thanks!
> Erick

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.