Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de> on 2003/10/01 16:31:55 UTC

Status of Pluto?

Hi,

I just found out by chance that a cvs repository and a web site
for Pluto at Jakarta exist.

Can someone expand on the current status?
What are the next steps?

[1] Proposal
http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?PlutoProposal
[2] Pluto Website
http://jakarta.apache.org/pluto/

Carsten

Re: Status of Pluto?

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Can someone expand on the current status?
> What are the next steps?

in the last few weeks that has been a sharp uptick in
activity at the incubator as people try to figure out just
what the requirements and policies *are* -- and should be.

at this point, it appears that absent any official statements,
the podling's mentor should be the one watching this most closely
and most able to report on condition and progress.  others may
disagree, but that's my personal view.

i *believe* the mentor for both pluto and wsrp4j is sam ruby.
i do know that both have entered the incubator.  the inclarity
of that status information is, i believe, partly due to the
dearth of solid process guidelines, and partly due to the fact
that the incubator web site is about fifty times harder to keep
up-to-date than it should be.  (mho)

> And it seems somehow that noone nows how the project has been created or
> that a proposal existed on the wiki etc. It's a little bit strange.

a 'proposal on the wiki' is not a proposal.  it's an advisory starting
point, nothing more.  for something to be proposed, it needs to be
sent in mail.

in any event, i believe that the infrastructures for both pluto and
wsrp4j have been created.  i believe the legal requirements (clas,
code grant, copyright assignment, licence changed to apache) have
been met.  i think the only thing remaining before they graduate
is a period of observation to see that they have adopted procedures
and attitudes that will let them fit comfortably into the overall
asf.
--
#ken	P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"

RE: Status of Pluto?

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Sam Ruby wrote:

> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for the info, Sam.
> >
> > I asked this mainly because of the wiki entry
> > (http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?PlutoProposal)
> > where some people showed there interest in Pluto (or in the
> > proposal) and most of them are not aware of the current state.
> > And I was just wondering why this is the case.
>
> Apparently, you are interested in pluto, but are not a current
> subscriber to jetspeed-dev.  That is not something that I anticipated.

Yes, I will subscribe asap.

Thanks for the hint!

Carsten

Re: Status of Pluto?

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Thanks for the info, Sam.
>
> I asked this mainly because of the wiki entry
> (http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?PlutoProposal)
> where some people showed there interest in Pluto (or in the
> proposal) and most of them are not aware of the current state.
> And I was just wondering why this is the case.

Apparently, you are interested in pluto, but are not a current
subscriber to jetspeed-dev.  That is not something that I anticipated.

Can somebody talk me through the process of updating incubator-site?

RE: Status of Pluto?

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.

Re: Status of Pluto?

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just found out by chance that a cvs repository and a web site
> for Pluto at Jakarta exist.
>
> Can someone expand on the current status?
> What are the next steps?
>
> [1] Proposal
> http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?PlutoProposal
> [2] Pluto Website
> http://jakarta.apache.org/pluto/
>
> Carsten

I'll answer that as best I can.  Those that wish to follow along, may
wish to refer to http://incubator.apache.org/process.html.

Entry:

* A group external to the foundation (IBM) wants to donate
   an existing code base to the Foundation.  Additionally ,an
   existing (sub)project (Jakarta/Jetspeed) wants to incorporate
   this codebase and buid a community around it.

Process:

1. All software in this codebase has had its copyright assigned to
    the ASF.  The secretary of the ASF has acknowledged receipt of
    this copyright assignment.

2. All software in this codebase is now licensed under the Apache
    license.  This license is present in every source file in cvs.

* All contributors have faxed in Contributor License Agreements.
   The secretary has acknowledged receipt of these agreements.

* The community has adopted the Apache voting rules and is otherwise
   following the Apache guidelines

* The community is incorporated within the existing jakarta and
   jetspeed 'steering committees'.

* The exit strategy for the podling has been defined as jakarta-pluto.

   1. The Jakarta PMC has voted to accept this conditional upon
      successful incubation.
   2. Time frame: TBD
   3. Graduation requirements: TBD

As to the two TBD's above, these depend on the definition of the
incubation phases...

- Sam Ruby