Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com> on 2002/10/25 07:14:34 UTC

Linux Magazine article

Linux Magazine's backpage article is a little thing on Java and Linux
together etc. [Steve J. Vaughan-Nichols]. Apache Software Foundation's
Jakarta project gets a good mention, however he seems to ascribe JBoss as
being a Jakarta project :) Which is a shame that maybe Jakarta's brand is
being a bit too overpowering sometimes.

Tomcat, Ant and POI also get mentions.

My favourite quote:

"I know: to many of you Java is this wishy-washy language that's way too
wordy and structured." :)

Thought it was interest,

Hen

Re: Linux Magazine article

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
But there should be something adequate in addition to JBoss.

Re: Linux Magazine article

Posted by Steve Downey <st...@netfolio.com>.

Re: Linux Magazine article

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.
Never skip a start of something is my motto ;)

Mvgr,
Martin

Re: Linux Magazine article

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

Re: Linux Magazine article

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.

Re: Linux Magazine article

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Jon Scott Stevens wrote:

>on 2002/10/25 5:16 PM, "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org> wrote:
>

>>I wish we did have something that supported a non-crappy interface like
>>EOB (eob.sourceforge.net)
>>

>Stuff like this reminds me of Velocity vs. JSP argument.

Agreed.  Velocity looks better than JSP.

>People realize that EJB sucks ass, so they develop something that is simple

agreed

>to use and implement and makes some real sense...while the whole time, we
>have Sun pushing their J2EE crap down our throats.

agreed

>Maybe once Sun's stock price dips below 1.0 will they wake up...

I never had you for an idealest.  What I think they'll do is start
trying to sell the JDK, lock every thing down grasping for some business
model...any busines model.....then sink slowly into the abyss taking
java with them...but I think Sun today is the IBM of the 80s brought
foward into the future given a jewel they have no idea what to do with
(still).

Sun still has two pistols pointed at each foot daring folks to make them
pull the trigger..  With the JCA issue they took some bullets out...

However Jon, we still don't have something with the really "balls"
behind it.  (excuse the crudity). . I mean something that is documented
sufficiently, has the performance tools (transaction support,
hi-performance pooling including connections and objects) behind it and
has a non-sucky interface like EOB.  EJB sucks, but app servers are
necessary for a good many people.  We've got bits and pieces of app
servers...but we don't actually have one.

I plan on riding Paul's a** to finish getting an initial code base
together and I'll help with more docs so that he can attract enough
community.  Having this thing here might drive some sort of cohesive app
server development instead of the little fiefdoms (so far as app server
stuff goes) we have today.  Otherwise I think we'll kinda forefit our
b*tching rights for not coming up with something better.  As much as I
like Marc, I hope we prove you right some day!

-Andy

Re: Linux Magazine article

Posted by Steve Downey <st...@netfolio.com>.
On Friday 25 October 2002 08:30 pm, Jon Scott Stevens wrote:
> on 2002/10/25 5:16 PM, "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org> wrote:
> > I wish we did have something that supported a non-crappy interface like
> > EOB (eob.sourceforge.net)
>
> Stuff like this reminds me of Velocity vs. JSP argument.
>
> People realize that EJB sucks ass, so they develop something that is simple
> to use and implement and makes some real sense...while the whole time, we
> have Sun pushing their J2EE crap down our throats.

Sun has a lot of trouble backing away from the 1.0 decisions they make, even
when they turn out to be wrong. MSFT does a bit better by renaming the
technology and walking away from the old one. c.v. DCOM -> MTS -> .NET

Still, container based declarative transactional components are a nice idea.
Writing data non-transactionally will eventually get you into trouble.
Reading isn't the same problem. And being able to join many components into a
single transaction without advance planning make a lot of deep problems
rather simple.

But the notion that a database row is a good remote object, even without the
overhead of transactionality, is just BAD.

> Maybe once Sun's stock price dips below 1.0 will they wake up...

Nah, I'm sure CA would acquire it then, and then there'd be boardroom pressure
to use it as the solution to everything.

Re: Linux Magazine article

Posted by Paul Hammant <ha...@apache.org>.
Jon, Andy,

>>I wish we did have something that supported a non-crappy interface like
>>EOB (eob.sourceforge.net)
>>

>Stuff like this reminds me of Velocity vs. JSP argument.
>
>People realize that EJB sucks ass, so they develop something that is simple
>to use and implement and makes some real sense...while the whole time, we
>have Sun pushing their J2EE crap down our throats.

Until I get it mounted on the net with some impressive demos it is going
to have problems marketing itself.  People much prefer to download the
client side app of something, see it working, then poke though the
source, than download 10Mb+ of stuff and follow six deployment
instuctions....

What I really need is some more demos.  We already have a slight fork of
Velocity's Forum demo running over RPC, and thus webapps are covered.
 It is Swing GUIs with a decent interface/impl separated object model
that I need.  Synergy blah blah with some other open source project.
 There are a few nice ones already, but they are cursed by being EJB
using object models...

- Paul

Re: Linux Magazine article

Posted by Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 2002/10/25 5:16 PM, "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org> wrote:

> I wish we did have something that supported a non-crappy interface like
> EOB (eob.sourceforge.net)

Stuff like this reminds me of Velocity vs. JSP argument.

People realize that EJB sucks ass, so they develop something that is simple
to use and implement and makes some real sense...while the whole time, we
have Sun pushing their J2EE crap down our throats.

Maybe once Sun's stock price dips below 1.0 will they wake up...

-jon

--
StudioZ.tv /\ Bar/Nightclub/Entertainment
314 11th Street @ Folsom /\ San Francisco

Re: Linux Magazine article

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

RE: Linux Magazine article

Posted by Paulo Gaspar <pa...@krankikom.de>.

Re: Linux Magazine article

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

RE: Linux Magazine article

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@telocity.com>.
I'd like to see that.

James Mitchell
Software Engineer/Struts Evangelist
http://www.open-tools.org

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not
sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Re: Linux Magazine article

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <an...@superlinksoftware.com>.

Re: Linux Magazine article

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
On 25/10/02 7:17, "James Mitchell" <jm...@telocity.com> wrote:

> Is it true that Marc had asked to move JBoss over and that it was not
> accepted?

Question floats around from time to time... It always ends up in someone
being flamed badly and nothing happening...

The "wishy-washy" relationship started when, IIRC, when back in the days
(the first time we were told to "join efforts") he called us something like
"old ladies drinking tea", or some stuff like that...

> I guess I was not around during that time (if it ever was).  I had sensed
> (from monitoring the Jboss-users and dev lists early this year) that there
> was a bit of ill sentiment towards the 'Jakarta Love Train' ;)
>
> I had heard rumors, but never knew what to make of it until I asked him
> directly myself at a JBoss presentation at the local JUG meeting a few
> months back, and his response was something like...."nothing but a bunch of
> Sun guys there", but I couldn't make out exactly what he said.
>
> Is any of this true?  Was Jboss rejected from joining Apache?

It's not true... I believe that the ASF doesn't want to have JBoss on its
list of projects, and JBoss doesn't want to move along and join the ASF...
>From time to time, someone happening to be in both communities at the same
time, thinks it might be a good idea to push for it, and does so...

But at the end, I believe that both communities are really divided and can't
be brought together... Both communities grew from the same seed, Java and
Open Source, but whilst one (Apache) has always been fond of its BSD roots
and moves along the lines, the Jboss one is actually more tied to GPL and
another vision of open source...

I think they both coexist happily in the world, but at the same time I don't
think any one of those should loose its credos to embrace the other
community way of doing things...

And plus, we're more polite, we don't call them "nothing but a bunch of
Fleury's adepts there", or "young kids drinking cocoa" :-)

    Pier

RE: Linux Magazine article

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@telocity.com>.