Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Cassandra Targett <ct...@apache.org> on 2019/10/28 19:10:22 UTC

Solr Ref Guide Changes - now HTML only

Hi all -

Some have already noticed this change, but to state it formally, as of 8.2,
the Lucene PMC will no longer treat the PDF version of the Solr
Reference Guide as the primary format, and we will no longer release a PDF
version. The Guide will now be available online only.

Some of you may prefer the PDF and will be disappointed by this change. To
explain, there are several reasons why we're doing this:

1. We believe that most in our community rely on the HTML version (at
https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide), but since our release focus has been
the PDF version, we are not spending time making sure the HTML works as
well as it should and could.
2. The PDF has grown far too large. The 8.1 version is 1,483 pages, and
16Mb. Attempting to cut it back would be complex, and, considering it is a
less effective medium, possibly not worth the effort.
3. The release process held us back from getting the Guide out at the same
time as the artifact release (which is what has happened so far with 8.x
versions of the Guide).
4. Focusing on supporting the PDF first holds us back from several things
we would like to do in the HTML for better content presentation (including
easy-to-maintain architecture diagrams, proper formatting of math formulas,
and more complete language examples, among other things).

So, starting with 8.2 we are making a few changes:

1. The 8.2 version of the Ref Guide has been published in HTML form only (
https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/8_2/), and a PDF will not be available.
2. When 8.3 is released (soon), the HTML version will be available online
at the same time, and will be announced together.
3. For those who follow the development list, starting with 8.3 and going
forward a DRAFT version of the Guide will be available online as soon as a
Lucene & Solr release candidate is prepared and a VOTE thread has started.

If you are someone who wishes the PDF would continue, please share your
feedback. While the PDF is not sustainable in its current form - there are
pending changes that will break our current tooling entirely - we could see
if it's possible to find alternate ways to satisfy the same use cases.

Thanks to all of you for your continued support of Lucene and Solr, and we
look forward to making substantial improvements to the Guide in the months
to come.

Regards,
Cassandra

Re: Solr Ref Guide Changes - now HTML only

Posted by Dwane Hall <dw...@hotmail.com>.
Although I don't use the pdf version I highly recommend watching Cassandra's talk from Activate last year ( https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DixlnxAk08s). In this talk she addresses the challenges of the Solr ref guide including the 'title search' mentioned below and presents a number of options for the guide's future.  It certainly gave me an appreciation for some of the complexities in this part of the Solr project that I'd never fully appreciated before.

The guide has come a long way since the confluence days and continues to evolve with every release. Although the title search is not ideal I'm yet to not find anything I'm looking for with a little creative googling.

That's my tire cents on the matter.
________________________________
Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.

Posted by Nicolas Paris <ni...@riseup.net>.
> If you are someone who wishes the PDF would continue, please share your
> feedback.

I have not particularly explored the documentation format but the
content. However here my thought on this:

Pdf version of solr documentation has two advantages:
1. readable offline
2. make searching easier than the html version

If there were a "one page" version of the html documentation, this
would mitigate searching within the whole. Also a monolitic html page
makes things easier to access offline.(transform back to pdf, ebook..?)

--
nicolas