Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Karen <ka...@gmail.com> on 2005/08/19 05:48:27 UTC

File upload size problem

Hi,

I'm using Tapestry's Upload component to upload files. It throws
org.apache.commons.fileupload.FileUploadBase$SizeLimitExceededException when
the upload file size exceed the allow range. What I need to do is to turn
that exception to a more meaningful message before display to the HTML page.

I tried to catch the ApplicationRuntimeException from the submit listener's
method, but to no avail.

How to catch the ApplicationRuntimeException when this happen? Please advise.

Thank you.

Regards,
Karen

Set upload file size problem

Posted by Karen <ka...@gmail.com>.
According to the Upload component reference example, I can set max upload file
size by add the below section into my xproject.application file.

<extension name="org.apache.tapestry.multipart-decoder"
class="org.apache.tapestry.multipart.DefaultMultipartDecoder">
 	<configure property-name="maxSize" type="double" value="134217728"/>
</extension>

However, after i've added it into the .application file, and do a re-deploy of
my webapp, when I do an upload of 14MB file, it thrown me the
org.apache.commons.fileupload.FileUploadBase$SizeLimitExceededException. Have
I miss anything in order to set the allow upload file size?

Regards,
K.

Re: File upload size problem

Posted by Karen <ka...@gmail.com>.

Re: File upload size problem

Posted by Geoff Longman <gl...@gmail.com>.
Karen,

As the exception is thrown in AbstractEngine.service() and before your
page is even loaded from the pool I think you have but one option for
improving the presentation of this error.

1) create your own implementation of ExceptionPage. End users usually
don't appreciate the presentation of the default ExceptionPage as much
as we developers do!

2) subclass BaseEngine and override

protected void activateExceptionPage(
        IRequestCycle cycle,
        ResponseOutputStream output,
        Throwable cause)
        throws ServletException {

 //check for the upload exeption
  if (cause instanceof yadayada)  {
      cause = a new Exception with your user friendly message;
  }

 super(cycle, output, cause);

}

Clear as mud?

I don't use Upload so I can't help much with the configuration issue.

Geoff

The Spindle guy.           http://spindle.sf.net
Get help with Spindle:
Announcement Feed: