Posted to dev@fineract.apache.org by Ed Cable <ed...@mifos.org> on 2022/03/29 01:20:22 UTC

Next Steps as a Mifos Mentor for the 2022 Google Summer of Code

Hi everyone,

I'm delighted to share the news that Mifos has been selected as a mentoring
org for the tenth time. We're eager to return back after a one-year hiatus
- this direct participation will allow us to onboard and interact with a
larger number of interns and take on projects across all of our codebases
and not just the Apache Fineract ones. Mifos' participation as a mentoring
org will be in addition to whatever interns Fineract can bring on under
Apache Software Foundation.

Thanks to all the mentors who have expressed willingness to be a mentor
thus far. If you haven't already expressed interest and would like to -
please fill out the form that's been shared previously -
https://forms.gle/sFsYKdk4DtnvWmFM9

If you meet our criteria for being a mentor, I'll invite you to register as
a mentor through the GSOC portal. We really need committed and engaged
mentors and will only seek out interns for projects where we have both a
primary and secondary mentor confirmed and committed.

@Sanyam Goel <sa...@gmail.com> and @Rahul Goel
<ra...@gmail.com> will be helping with Org Admin duties this year so
please collaborate with them on the following topics:

*Changes in 2022*
As a reminder, the program has some major changes this year:

(1) Starting in 2022, the program will be *open to all newcomers of open
source* that are 18 years and older, *no longer focusing solely on
university students**.*
(2) GSoC Contributors will be able to choose from multiple size projects
~175 hour (medium) and 350 hour (large).
(3) Google is building increased flexibility around the timing of projects
- there is an option to extend the standard 12 week coding time frame to a
maximum of 22 weeks

*2022 Project Scope*
Our projects will cut across our entire stack from the Fineract back-end to
our mobile and web apps for staff and customers. We will also be trying to
target some projects around OpenG2P and the Payment Hub EE this year as
well.

*Next Steps*
While the intern application period isn't open for submissions until April
4 to April 19. Up until then is a crucial period when we will hopefully be
inundated with interest from applicants and will need high involvement and
engagement from mentors as applicants interact with the community and share
pull requests which will be the most important part of their applications.

Here's our official student-facing page on the Google Summer of Code site:
https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/programs/2022/organizations/the-mifos-initiative

I'll share a post to our blog soon too and we'll be hosting a Mifos GSOC
AMA (Ask Me Anything) for all aspiring interns on Friday April 1 at 1300GMT
- you can register here:
https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/2016485166342/WN_ZW6Ij83gRxCueea85bjEwA

We need to finalize our list of projects and mentor assignments prior to
April 4 so I welcome any mentors to assist in this process and if you have
an idea that you haven't listed, do list it now -

We will have a meeting of all mentors this Thursday at 1300GMT via Zoom -
https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZYsdu6grTspHtMTDGNWI1Stiz-PnPCfGupv

For now here a few items of homework to participate as a mentor:

1) *Join the meeting this Thursday at 1300GMT (*
https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZYsdu6grTspHtMTDGNWI1Stiz-PnPCfGupv
)

2) *Learn what it means to mentor* - Read up on the GSOC mentors manual at
https://google.github.io/gsocguides/mentor/ and what we look for in
students and how we evaluate them in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtxBX7Sbqv0

3) *Add yourself as a mentor on Google GSOC site*: Accept the invite to
mentor that you will be receiving soon.

4) *Join discussion group and slack channel* -  Most of you are already on
this from previous years. If not, confirm your subscription to our internal
discussion group for mentors - we'll use for sending communications amongst
mentors. You should receive an invite for this group at:
https://groups.google.com/a/mifos.org/forum/#!forum/gsoc-mentors. I will
invite you to #gsoc-mentors slack channel .

5)* Refine project ideas *- this is a critical step to refine the ideas,
remove ones we won't move forward with and definitely assign mentors to
ideas. I will be sending separate emails on this topic.
https://mifosforge.jira.com/wiki/spaces/RES/pages/3004891137/Google+Summer+of+Code+2022+Ideas

6)* Be active* - join our Gitter chatroom and Slack, respond to mailing
list inquiries, participate in community meetings!

*Cheers,*

*Ed*

Re: Next Steps as a Mifos Mentor for the 2022 Google Summer of Code

Posted by James Dailey <ja...@gmail.com>.
Ed

Great to see this.  To save the dev list some chatter, perhaps you can post
some general guidance at:

https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/programs/2022/organizations/the-mifos-initiative

   - How to introduce yourself on list (applying for GSOC, getting to know
   the project, interested in ...)
   - What kind of things you may want to start with / i.e. read the FAQs,
   scan the tickets, check out https://www.fineract.dev
   - How do you most easily get a dev environment started (links)
   - How do you engage on the list (hint: read archives first, then post )

Do we also have Apache Fineract GSOC organized separately?

Thanks,

Posted by Varun Jain <va...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ed! I have been busy from a while and therefore could not express
interest for the mentorship. I have filled the Google form attached in this
email and would like to mentor and continue the work on fineract-cn-mobile.