Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Linda Hull <ch...@gmail.com> on 2015/04/06 09:55:36 UTC

Calc "There is not enough space on the sheet.. "

I'm trying to compare data between different access lists. I have managed
to create pretty nice spreadsheets with the CSV, but now Calc says that
"There is not enough space on the sheet to insert here", when I try to
paste a second list.

I actually would like to do 4-5 lists, showing changes over time.

Taking out some of the data that I don't need so much, from both lists,
hasn't alleviated the problem.

What can I do?

This is Calc 4.1.1 on Windows 7.

Linda

Re: Calc "There is not enough space on the sheet.. "

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 03:55 06/04/2015 -0400, Linda Hull wrote:
>I'm trying to compare data between different access lists. I have
>managed to create pretty nice spreadsheets with the CSV, but now
>Calc says that "There is not enough space on the sheet to insert
>here", when I try to paste a second list.

I think this happens only when you are trying to paste something
inappropriate. You may be trying to paste a complete column or
columns, a complete row or rows, or even a complete sheet into a
single cell (or using a single cell as a marker) - or you may be
trying to paste a column into a row or (without using Transpose) a
row into a column. Remember that copying a row or a column doesn't
copy just the cells of that element into which you have inserted data
but instead the entire element to the right edge or bottom of the sheet.

>What can I do?

If you select just appropriate rows, columns, or ranges that contain
your data to be copied, everything should work. If necessary, import
your new data into a separate sheet and then select the significant
range to copy to your required destination.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Re: Calc "There is not enough space on the sheet.. "

Posted by Jean Lear <me...@gmail.com>.
This has happened to me when I have had something already entered in a
spreadsheet and when making  copy of something extra from another
spreadsheet to paste into it have done Ctrl A (select All)  Ctrl C (copied
whole of what was selected right down to the bottom row of the sheet
including rows with no content). When I tried to paste it to the first
spreadsheet was told "there is not enough room...."
I then realised that I was copying all the blank rows in the second spread
sheet and not just the rows that I needed.  Of course it would not fit as
there were already rows used in the first spreadsheet - even if it was just
a heading row. Spreadsheets do not put in rows beyond their limit.
I now go to the bottom row of what I want to paste in and copy from the
bottom row there to the top row.
The answer from Brian may have solved your problem but the above is one of
those traps you do not know about until you try to do something.