Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Paul Benedict <pa...@yahoo.com> on 2006/08/02 04:53:46 UTC

1.3.5 on website?

If 1.3.5 is officialy beta and uploaded to mirrors, doesn't it make sense to then publish it on the website sidebar simply with a "(beta)" postfix?

Also if 1.3.5 does not go production, I don't think 1.3 ever will. I am going to deliver my localization stuff soon, and so that will increase the complexity of the next 1.3.x release... I just want to make this known that unless we go to production, 1.3 might never see the light of production day.

Paul

---------------------------------
Groups are talking. We&acute;re listening. Check out the handy changes to Yahoo! Groups.

Re: 1.3.5 on website?

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
\On 8/2/06, Paul Benedict <pa...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> You got me there, Martin :-) It didn't make sense. hehe I do believe the remaining issues
> can be solved.

No time like the present. The 1.3.5 build is tagged, and the
repository is open to commits.

> But that will be a 1.3.6, right?

Well, first we'll need a release manager. Any volunteers? If so, set
up a plan on the wiki and have at it. We don't have to wait on 1.3.5,
a new build could be tagged at any time.

> It's easy for feature creep to enter into the
>picture -- so my unclear point (hehe) was that if I deliver some
moderate changes, it
>makes getting a production version out that more complex. I'd like to
 work on a
>production branch though before  delivering.

Some people have had 1.3 "in production" for over a year. In fact,
since we "eat our own dog food", we expect committers and other
developers to put a milestone in production first, so that we can find
problems with edge cases.

At this point, 1.3.5 is what it is. If it makes GA, it makes GA. The
tag is set, the die is cast. If someone wants to start a new line of
development, it's not hard to create a branch in the sandbox, and then
merge it back into the trunk later.

-Ted.

Re: 1.3.5 on website?

Posted by Paul Benedict <pa...@yahoo.com>.
You got me there, Martin :-) It didn't make sense. hehe I do believe the remaining issues can be solved. But that will be a 1.3.6, right? It's easy for feature creep to enter into the picture -- so my unclear point (hehe) was that if I deliver some moderate changes, it makes getting a production version out that more complex. I'd like to  work on a production branch though before  delivering.

Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org> wrote: On 8/1/06, Paul Benedict
 wrote:

> If 1.3.5 is officialy beta and uploaded to mirrors, doesn't it make sense
> to then publish it on the website sidebar simply with a "(beta)" postfix?
>
> Also if 1.3.5 does not go production, I don't think 1.3 ever will.

Why? You don't believe the remaining issues can be resolved?

I am going to deliver my localization stuff soon, and so that will increase
> the complexity of the next 1.3.x release... I just want to make this known
> that unless we go to production, 1.3 might never see the light of
> production day.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here. The vote has happened,
and 1.3.5 is now Beta. You're saying, therefore, that 1.3 will never go into
production, but you want to add your localisation stuff anyway, to something
that will never go into production? That seems odd, but, well, OK, whatever
floats your boat. ;-)

--
Martin Cooper

Paul

---------------------------------

Re: 1.3.5 on website?

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: 1.3.5 on website?

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.
Ok, I've made the changes.  And I'll move the nightlies once the
manual run is complete.

--
James Mitchell
678.910.8017

Re: 1.3.5 on website?

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Re: 1.3.5 on website?

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.
Are we still going to use the nightly build location [0] for hosting
the test builds?  I'm wondering because I think the current layout is
confusing with '1.3.x' and '1.3.5' listed in the same directory.

If we want to keep these here, can we inject another directory?
Besides making my cron job clean up much simpler, it will not be as
confusing

Like this:

http://people.apache.org/builds/struts/nightly-builds/
http://people.apache.org/builds/struts/integration-builds/

What do you think?

[0] http://people.apache.org/builds/struts/

--
James Mitchell
678.910.8017

Re: 1.3.5 on website?

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Re: 1.3.5 on website?

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Re: 1.3.5 on website?

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
> It isn't on the mirrors yet, and hasn't been announced, so the website
> hasn't been updated.  I think only the signatures remain to be done,
> then everything can be deployed to the mirrored directories.

That's true, but looking over my schedule, I have no discretionary
time left until the 20th. If someone wants to rebuild the release from
the 1.3.5 tag and move it out, that would be great. But, sadly, I'm
out of the picture for now.

-Ted.

Re: 1.3.5 on website?

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.