Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Travis Graham <tg...@tgraham.us> on 2013/11/14 16:38:52 UTC

[DOCS] 4.2.1 Release Notes rework

I'm kicking off the thread to discuss the work that's needed for the 4.2.1 Release Notes.

Radhika has asked for help getting the 4.2.1 RN updated and Alok and I have volunteered so far to help out. Sebastian has asked to hold off on the release until after the Amsterdam meet up which would provide time to get some meatspace work done on the 4.2.1 RN during a hackathon.

I'm in favor of the short release delay to get a better final doc product out the door that would greatly reduce the confusion and have a nice side effect of giving the upgrade process some much needed love by doing the hands on work to document every step along the way and solidify what needs to be addressed from the current RN format.

I also think the 4.2.0 RN need an overhaul to get them up to speed and make them useful. It was a known stick spot before 4.2.0 was released and I think 4.2.1 is right time to seriously take a look at the upgrade section and do it some justice. Too many people trashed their production systems because of some unknown gotchas that surfaced and I think that really shook the confidence people had in new releases.

Attention to detail in the code quality that's being released is getting some much needed love and I think everyone who is willing and able to pay it forward to the docs needs to surface. Some pretty big steps have been take to make this process much easier have been taken and I think we need to pick it up and run with it.

I'm able to setup and test the upgrade process for Ubuntu and CentOS KVM as the hypervisors and the same for the Management server and possibly XenServer, but I don't have the resources available to test VMware things.

That's my $0.02,
Travis