Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> on 2018/01/20 21:42:18 UTC

Re: How can I take a copyrigth for my opensource project ?

Hi Erkam Murat Bozkurt,

I cannot give you legal advice.

You should probably start by researching copyright law as it applies to your country. This might apply to you: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_law_of_the_United_States <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_law_of_the_United_States>

However, generally, copyright is established by publication. If you put your code into e.g. a public repository like github, the fact of publishing it there can establish provenance.

Depending on your objectives, there are many open source licenses to choose from. You could look at https://opensource.org/licenses <https://opensource.org/licenses> which is a good neutral open source license resource.

Regards,

Craig

> On Jan 20, 2018, at 11:52 AM, Erkam Murat Bozkurt <er...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I have developed a new software as a result of a scientific research and a want to share my study as an opensource software project.This software includes a nice and useful GUI (Graphical User Interface) and therefore, it is easy to use. Beside to this, also, I want to learn that how can I prove that this software has been developed by me ( for scientific and intellectual purpose ).
>
> After a short search, I realized that there is no any record or submission system for opensource software licences. Is there any official recording system for opensource software ? If there is, how can I perform?
>
> Thank you for your interest and best regards.

Craig L Russell
Secretary, Apache Software Foundation
clr@apache.org <ma...@apache.org> http://db.apache.org/jdo <http://db.apache.org/jdo>