Posted to p-dev@xerces.apache.org by GuruJ <Gu...@mbox.com.au> on 2003/12/10 14:03:34 UTC

Can't load Xerces.dll

 > Jason E. Stewart wrote:
 >
 >> Chernyshev Alex <ch...@a-dos.com> writes:
 >>

 >>>  Can't load Xerces.dll  for module XML:Xerces:load_file:
 >>>  The specifies module could not found at DynaLoader.pm line 229 -->
 >>>  /my $libref = dl_load_file($file, $module->dl_load_flags)/
 >>>
 >>>  at  Xerces.pm line 7  --> / bootstrap XML::Xerces; /
 >>>  BEGIN failed ....
 >>

 >> Sorry Alex,
 >>
 >> I know next to nothing about windows. Hopefully Martin or someone >else
 >> who is using this under Windows will be able to help you.
 >

 >I can only guess - either the xerces.dll somehow didn't get installed
 >in the proper place (it should be in the directory
 >site\lib\auto\XML\Xerces) or your system path doesn't contain the
 >location of the Xerces-C library dll.
 >
 >Martin

I'm experiencing exactly the same error message as Alex.  I had a
similar error message when trying to use XML::Parser with the Expat
library.  In that case, placing the Expat DLLs in the
site\lib\auto\XML\Parser\Expat directory fixed the problem.

This time around, the xerces-c-2_3_0.dll doesn't seem to work from
either perl\bin or site\lib\auto\XML\Xerces.  I don't *believe* the
problem is likely to be related to Xerces.dll.

I am using IndigoPerl 2003 (Perl 5.8) for all of this.  Also, could the
fact that I am running Windows 98SE have something to do with it?

Any more ideas would be most helpful!

-- GuruJ.

Re: Can't load Xerces.dll

Posted by Martin Raspe <ra...@uni-trier.de>.
GuruJ wrote:

[...]

> I'm experiencing exactly the same error message as Alex.  I had a
> similar error message when trying to use XML::Parser with the Expat
> library.  In that case, placing the Expat DLLs in the
> site\lib\auto\XML\Parser\Expat directory fixed the problem.
>
> This time around, the xerces-c-2_3_0.dll doesn't seem to work from
> either perl\bin or site\lib\auto\XML\Xerces.  I don't *believe* the
> problem is likely to be related to Xerces.dll.

Perl's dll load error messages can be misleading. Perl will complain
that it can't load Xerces.dll although it is present, when a dependent
DLL isn't found or won't load (e. g. when it was compiled with another C
compiler). In your case I suspect you haven't set the location to
xerces-c-2_3_0.dll in your system path. If it sits in "C:\perl\bin",
just add "C:\perl\bin" to the "path" command in C:\autoexec.bat.

> I am using IndigoPerl 2003 (Perl 5.8) for all of this.  Also, could the
> fact that I am running Windows 98SE have something to do with it?

I run Perl with Win98 on one computer and it makes no difference.

Martin