Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by "Jim C." <jl...@gmail.com> on 2007/01/25 17:43:00 UTC

Cocoon's capabilities - XML to PostgreSQL ?

I've got a large XML file, say 15 Mb and I need to get it into a
PostgreSQL database. Can Cocoon do this? If so, I could sure use some tips.

RTFM'ers Note: I am reading the docs now. Perhaps you could direct me to
relevant sections? :-)

Jim C.

Re: Cocoon's capabilities - XML to PostgreSQL ?

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On 1/25/07, Jim C. <jl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've got a large XML file, say 15 Mb and I need to get it into a
> PostgreSQL database. Can Cocoon do this?...

It could, but if it's a one-time job, I'd go for generating SQL
statements by transforming your XML with XSLT:

  XML file -> XSLT transform -> SQL statements file -> execute SQL in DB

Or use any other XML transformation method that you're familiar with
instead of XSLT.

In Cocoon, you could do the same but generate SQLTransformer
statements instead of a plain SQL statements file:

  XML file -> XSLT transform using SQLTransformer syntax -> SQLTransformer

HTH,
-Bertrand