Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net> on 2022/03/28 16:35:52 UTC

EOL dates for Tomcat 5.0 and 4.1?

All,

Did the Apache Tomcat project ever officially announce an EOL date for
Tomcat 5.0 and 4.x? Or for 3.x for that matter?

I was looking at the Wikipedia page for Tomcat and they didn't have EOL
dates for anything before 6.0, so I filled-in the date for 5.5 but I
can't find older EOL announcements.

This page https://tomcat.apache.org/whichversion.html contains links to
the EOL announcements for 5.5, 6.0, 7.0, and 8.0.

I wonder if the project ever made any "official" EOL announcements for
those versions, and whether or not anyone cares enough to make those
announcements at this point, just for "posterity"? Not to fix the
Wikipedia page, but more to have something official to point to to say
"this version is officially unsupported by the vendor" just in case some
dummy somewhere wants to say "we run the latest available version of
Tomcat 4.1 from the vendor" and their product is therefore full of holes.

-chris

RE: EOL dates for Tomcat 5.0 and 4.1?

Posted by jo...@wellsfargo.com.INVALID.
Chris,

Yeah, but, this is Tomcat, not Stack Overflow. :-)

Dream * Excel * Explore * Inspire
Jon McAlexander
Infrastructure Engineer
Asst Vice President
He/His

Middleware Product Engineering
Enterprise CIO | EAS | Middleware | Infrastructure Solutions

8080 Cobblestone Rd | Urbandale, IA 50322
MAC: F4469-010
Tel 515-988-2508 | Cell 515-988-2508

jonmcalexander@wellsfargo.com
This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the addressee or authorized to receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose, or take any action based on this message or any information herein. If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message. Thank you for your cooperation.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Konstantin,

On 3/28/22 18:23, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
> вт, 29 мар. 2022 г. в 00:47, Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>:
>>
>> Jon,
>>
>> On 3/28/22 16:24, jonmcalexander@wellsfargo.com.INVALID wrote:
>>> If nobody else does, I dub thee
>>>
>>> "The Librarian"!!!
>>
>> Stack Overflow rewards this kind of work with a badge called "Necromancer".
>
> I happen to have 3 of those, though it looks that the official cause
> for them is a bit different.
>
> https://stackoverflow.com/users/4116988/konstantin-kolinko?tab=badges

I've got 7 :p :)

> What astonished me while looking through the archives is that I was
> one of the people who tested and voted for the 4.1.40 release. Time
> flies fast.
Wow it really does. During my first ApacheCon in Atlanta, we were
discussing whether or not Tomcat 7.0 to be be released stable or not. We
decided "not" and waited another 2 months to release the first stable
version.

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Jon,