Posted to dev@datasketches.apache.org by leerho <le...@gmail.com> on 2020/03/26 03:41:38 UTC

[Discuss] GitHub Visibility

Folks, I have been working on improving the website and I think we really
need a "What's New" blog as part of our Nav Bar.  But we are running out of
room.

We have been adding a lot of valuable material on the website to help users
and developers understand the different sketches, what they are for and
what features and trade-offs they have.  But without some sort of
announcement mechanism, no one will know that this information is
available.

I would suggest that we remove the "GitHub" button from the Nav Bar are
replace it with a "What's New" button.

I would think that the only folks that need direct access to the underlying
Apache GitHub sites would be developers that wish to submit PRs.  And
developers can access the GitHub sites via either the Community /
Contributing section (click on GitHub Components) or from the ToC menu
under Architecture And Design / Components.

It is my hunch that a "What's New" is more important than quick access to
the GitHub sites.  There are far more users than developers and developers
will search for the GitHub sites and find them without too much trouble.

If you look at the Apache Beam website, they don't have GitHub mentioned in
their Nav Bar nor does Druid.  However, Druid does still show it
prominently just on their front page. So I guess every project considers
this differently.

Any comments or suggestions?

Lee.

Re: [Discuss] GitHub Visibility

Posted by Evans Ye <ev...@apache.org>.
I'm with what Christopher said. What's new? can be on homepage showing how
active the project is.
Github is pretty important to me to justify whether a project is actively
developing(see update date), widely adopted(stars, folks).

My 2 cents.

Evans

leerho <le...@gmail.com> 於 2020年3月26日 週四 下午1:01寫道:

Posted by leerho <le...@gmail.com>.
Christopher,
> [...]

> replace it with a "What's New" button.
> >
> > I would think that the only folks that need direct access to the
> underlying Apache GitHub sites would be developers that wish to submit
> PRs.  And developers can access the GitHub sites via either the Community /
> Contributing section (click on GitHub Components) or from the ToC menu
> under Architecture And Design / Components.
> >
> > It is my hunch that a "What's New" is more important than quick access
> to the GitHub sites.  There are far more users than developers and
> developers will search for the GitHub sites and find them without too much
> trouble.
> >
> > If you look at the Apache Beam website, they don't have GitHub mentioned
> in their Nav Bar nor does Druid.  However, Druid does still show it
> prominently just on their front page. So I guess every project considers

From my cell phone.

Re: [Discuss] GitHub Visibility

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.