Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by "Sharoon D. Dcunha" <Sh...@laurusis.com> on 2015/03/13 10:23:34 UTC

Need to integrate OpenOffice writer in java project

Hi  There,
                This is Sharoon from Laurus Infosystems Bangalore, India. I am glad to know that your derivatives like StarOffice are being integrated to certain products and solutions. I have few queries which you probably can resolve:
I need an inline editor to be integrated to my java J2EE project  that can edit word and excel documents online and save it without being downloaded.
Are there any utilities like API's or jars that you provide to integrate ?
Are there any dependencies while using it(framework or database wise)?
Is it open source or paid software?

Waiting for your reply .

Thanks & Regards,
Sharoon  D. D'cunha
Software Engineer Grade -I

Laurus Infosystems (India) Pvt. Ltd.
Plot No. 100 - 101
Export Promotion Industrial Park | Whitefield
Bangalore - 560 066 | India

T   +91 9743780935
E   sharoon.dcunha@laurusis.com<ma...@laurusis.com>
W  laurusis.com

A better future through Innovation

LEGAL NOTICE: Unless expressly stated otherwise, this message is confidential and may be privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. Access to this e-mail by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not an addressee, any disclosure or copying of the contents of this e-mail or any action taken (or not taken) in reliance on it is unauthorized and may be unlawful. If you are not an addressee, please delete this e-mail and inform the sender immediately. Laurus Infosystems (India) Private Limited, with its principal place of business at Plot No. 100-101, Export Promotion Industrial Park, Whitefield, Bangalore 560066.

Re: Need to integrate OpenOffice writer in java project

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 6:23 AM, Sharoon D. Dcunha <
Sharoon.Dcunha@laurusis.com> wrote:

> This is Sharoon from Laurus Infosystems Bangalore, India. I am glad to
> know that your derivatives like StarOffice are being integrated to certain
> products and solutions

StarOffice no longer exists. A byproduct of the Libreoffice fork was Oracle
laying off the OpenOffice devs which worked on the commercial product (by
then renamed "Oracle Open Office" (sans the .org)

See http://pages.citebite.com/e7v0f3m9sder

> . I have few queries which you probably can resolve:
> I need an inline editor to be integrated to my java J2EE project  that can
> edit word and excel documents online and save it without being downloaded.
> Are there any utilities like API's or jars that you provide to integrate ?

OpenOffice.org and now AOO is written in C, not Java.

> Are there any dependencies while using it(framework or database wise)?

Look, for your work you are better off looking at http://www.joeffice.com/
which is Java based

Is it open source or paid software?
> Waiting for your reply .

To be blunt, for a software engineer you come across as very unreliable, if
you can't seem to do basic googling to see if the project you are asking
about is open source or not, or if it is written in java or C.

I for one would never hire you or the company you work for, seeing that you
were unable to check the AOO site or the wikipedia entry for AOO.

I say the above speaking only for myself and as a lurker on this list not
formally associated with the AOO dev team.

FC

act
Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un Acto
Revolucionario
- George Orwell

RE: Need to integrate OpenOffice writer in java project

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
Apache OpenOffice is written primarily in C++.
There are means to integration with Java.

There is an API that is available as part of the OpenOffice SDK.  See this information: <http://www.openoffice.org/api/SDK/>.  Note that this page has not been updated since 2008 and there may be difficulties integrating on your platform.

However, if you expect for the UI of OpenOffice to be made available to on-line clients from a server, that is not something OpenOffice will do directly.  There are ways to run it remotely but it involves having (or creating) user accounts for each connected user so that there is no conflict with user profile information (and also controlling where documents can be found and saved).  The server must provide the means for having the GUI of the running instance of OpenOffice tied to a remote console.

If you want to embed the editor in your project's own on-line connection and UI, much like a Rich Text Editor, the OpenOffice SDK might not be enough.

Also, since you want to be editing Word and Excel documents, your users may not be so satisfied with the different interface of OpenOffice (or they might love it!).  You should know that Apache OpenOffice does not save files in OOXML at this time.  OOXML can only be imported.  There are fewer limitations for .doc and .xls.

 - Dennis