Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by kashif_tomcat <ka...@vopium.com> on 2009/02/17 11:25:22 UTC

Wrong Time Shown in Catalina.out of Tomcat.

Hi All,

These days i am facing a strange problem on Production Server. here is my
issue.

We are running tomcat 6.0.18 in QA and Production environment.

ON QA Server, When i start tomcat, its catalina shows the same time as of
OS.

[root@qatest ~]# date
Tue Feb 17 10:04:53 GMT 2009
[root@qatest ~]# tail -f /usr/local/apache-tomcat-6.0.18/logs/catalina.out
2009-02-17 10:04:38,333 INFO [com.............

On Production Server. When i start Tomcat, its catalina shows time OS Time
+1 hour.

[root@Production ~]# date
Tue Feb 17 10:20:05 GMT 2009
[root@Production ~]# /usr/local/apache-tomcat-6.0.18/logs/catalina.out
2009-02-17 11:20:00,840 INFO [com.................

i am unable to understand that why tomcat is not picking the time of OS to
put in Catalina.out and from where it is getting that time???

can anyone tell me that from where Tomcat reads this time to put in
Catalina.out. and what can be the reason of this wrong time in Catalina.out?

Thanks in advance.

Kashif

Re: Tomcat vs deflate

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
Sadly no. As I rethink the previous statement - I wonder how true it is.
    For small self contained webapps - Tomcat is usually enough. But
once you introduce clustering or use it as public face to the world,
instead of a "internal app" - I would kind of expect apache to be out
front to handle lots of the goofy issues that apache httpd is good at.
(But now I venture into off topic my own opinion land .. and place where
bad things usually happen)

-Tim

RE: Tomcat vs deflate

Posted by Peter Crowther <Pe...@melandra.com>.
> From: Tim Funk [mailto:funkman@joedog.org]
> most people use apache in front of tomcat.

Tim, I'm interested - do you have any real-world usage figures?  I'm genuinely not trying to challenge your assertion; I'd just love to see the data, and how it's changed over time!

                - Peter

Re: Tomcat vs deflate

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: Tomcat vs deflate

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Gabor 'Morc' KORMOS [mailto:morc@baxter-it.com]
> Subject: Re: Tomcat vs deflate
>
> So basically you say code it for yourself by modifying the
> HTTP connector?

Preferably you'd write a filter to do it, rather than modifying Tomcat source.

Oh look, someone's already done it:
https://www.ohloh.net/tags/deflate/library/tomcat

GIYF.

 - Chuck

Re: Tomcat vs deflate

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
yup - and if your inclined - you can submit an bug enhancement with the
patch

-Tim

Re: Tomcat vs deflate

Posted by Gabor 'Morc' KORMOS <mo...@baxter-it.com>.

Re: Tomcat vs deflate

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
There aren't really any docs to point to beyond

 From there you can dig into the source. Since gzip and deflate are much

Re: Tomcat vs deflate

Posted by Gabor 'Morc' KORMOS <mo...@baxter-it.com>.
  Hi Tim,

Re: Tomcat vs deflate

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
Can support  - yes

Tomcat vs deflate

Posted by Gabor 'Morc' KORMOS <mo...@baxter-it.com>.
  Hi Guys/Gals,

  I tried to search for an answer whether Tomcat can support deflate as
compression but I found nothing really except that it supports gzip by
adding the compression parameter to the Connector definition. Is there a
way to enable deflate besides/instead of gzip in any version of Tomcat
(preferably recent ones, not 1.0 ;) ? If deflate is not supported then
why not? Reason I need deflate is we use Adobe Air for an interface
which receives a huge amount of XML data and it's not bandwidth
economical to send it uncompressed and Air does not support gzip out of
the box. Answers like use Apache instead of Tomcat as front-end web
server can be spared.

  Thanks,

  Gabor 'Morc' Kormos.

Re: Wrong Time Shown in Catalina.out of Tomcat.

Posted by Ben Stringer <be...@burbong.com>.
The Java runtime (JRE or JDK) maintains it's own timezone files. Most
likely there is a mismatch between the timezone for the OS and the Java
runtime (eg. daylight savings time).

Try installing the latest Java runtime and rechecking. For more info,
google for "Java Olson timezone".

Cheers, Ben