Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Murukesh Mohanan <mu...@gmail.com> on 2020/05/01 08:18:18 UTC

Re: Staging website at cassandra.staged.apache.org

For clarification, when you say "this would clean the master
branch history", would the content directory be removed from past commits
using bfg or similar tools?

(I'm fine with either way; just curious.)

Re: Staging website at cassandra.staged.apache.org

Posted by Anthony Grasso <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi Murukesh,

That is a good question. To clarify, I meant that if we changed the site to
be serviced from the 'asf-site' branch the master branch would be cleaner
from that point forward.

However, now that you mention it, I do like the idea of cleaning the entire
master branch. Given that this alters the repository history, we might want
to do such a change in a phased approach. e.g.

1. Change production site to be served from 'asf-site' branch.
2. Make a copy of the master branch called master_archive (or something
similar) - this can be done sometime later after Step 1.
3. Clean master branch using bfg.
4. Keep the master_archive branch until we think it is no longer needed -
we could keep the branch anywhere from a few days to a few years.

Let me know what you think.

Regards,
Anthony