Posted to users@jena.apache.org by Maria Jackson <ma...@gmail.com> on 2015/03/10 07:20:56 UTC

What is the difference between Jena-ARQ and Jena-TDB

The website defines Jena-TDB as a pure Java persistence layer for large
graphs, high performance applications and embedded use. And Jena-ARQ as ARQ
is a query engine for Jena that supports the SPARQL RDF Query language.
SPARQL is the query language developed by the W3C RDF Data Access Working
Group.

So do Jena-TDB and Jena-ARQ provide the same set of functionalities with
the difference that Jena-TDB in addition provides persistence. Or are they
different and provide different support and query mechanisms for SPARQL 1.1
queries.

I am unable to understand the difference between Jena-ARQ and Jena-TDB. Can
someone please explain this a little.

Re: What is the difference between Jena-ARQ and Jena-TDB

Posted by Rob Vesse <rv...@dotnetrdf.org>.
Yes TDB provides full SPARQL 1.1 support

ARQ is the query engine which is fully SPARQL 1.1 compliant

TDB is a persistence layer, it uses the ARQ query engine to perform the
actual queries (though it extends the basic ARQ engine with some TDB
specific optimisations to improve performance)

Rob

Posted by Jean-Marc Vanel <je...@gmail.com>.
Rose and Maria,

First on the practical point of view, if you donwload TDB (actually called
*apache-jena*) you have all dependencies including ARQ.

Then regarding SPARQL 1.1 support, it's true that TDB page does not say
clearly that it supports SPARQL 1.1 , but the Fuseki page says so :
http://jena.apache.org/documentation/serving_data/

and since "*Fuseki includes a built-in version of TDB*" , obviously TDB
also supports SPARQL 1.1 , not as an HTTP SPARQL server, but through its
API and command line tools.

Hope it helps .

Posted by Rose Beck <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Marc Vanel <je...@gmail.com>.