Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Gerhard Froehlich <g-...@gmx.de> on 2001/08/22 10:08:17 UTC

[C2] Re: LoadTest

Hi,
ok here is a blind shot. Yesterday I traced instance creation
of cocoon with OptimizeIt (See my posting last night). There
was one conspicuousness. The java.util.HashMap class had
19505 instances open by 20 threads fireing against cocoon2.

This instances weren't freed by the gc, because they have all one
reference to the generated class BrowserImpl.java in line 175 still
open. This effect only occurs on heavy load.

When you fireing 40 threads against cocoon, the instances double.

Cheers
Gerhard

--
Gerhard Fröhlich
g-froehlich@gmx.de

"black holes are,
when GOD is dividing by zero"

http://www.gmx.net

Re: [C2] Re: LoadTest

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com>.
Gerhard Froehlich wrote:
> Hi,
> ok here is a blind shot. Yesterday I traced instance creation
> of cocoon with OptimizeIt (See my posting last night). There
> was one conspicuousness. The java.util.HashMap class had
> 19505 instances open by 20 threads fireing against cocoon2.
>
> This instances weren't freed by the gc, because they have all one
> reference to the generated class BrowserImpl.java in line 175 still
> open. This effect only occurs on heavy load.
>
> When you fireing 40 threads against cocoon, the instances double.
>
> Cheers
> Gerhard

BrowserImpl methods only rely on data set up during configure(). So I
made it ThreadSafe (and also replaced Vector by ArrayList).

It will certainly not solve all problems, but should reduce HashMap
allocation you mentioned.

Sylvain.
--
Sylvain Wallez