Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Vicent Mas <uv...@gmail.com> on 2014/09/09 13:43:52 UTC

How to install forrest 0.9

Hi,
after a long time without using Forrest I'm trying to redo  my website
with it but I'm failing. I'd like to use the current version, 0.9. The
problem is that I don't know how to install it. I've downloaded the
apache-forrest-0.9-sources.tar.gz  and
apache-forrest-0.9-dependencies.tar.gz. as it is said in the link

http://forrest.apache.org/mirrors.cgi

But when I unpack those archives both of them have the same name
(apache-forrest-0.9). So I can't leave both of them on the same
folder. I've tried to put the dependencies package inside (and at the
top level) of the sources package but then forrest refuses to run.
I've tried the opposite with the same result. I'm sure I'm failing in
an obvious way but i don't see my mistakes. Sorry if this is a stupid
question but, could somebody tell me how install forrest 0-9 properly?

TIA

PS: I want to use the dispatcher plugin.
--
Share what you know, learn what you don't.

Re: How to install forrest 0.9

Posted by Vicent Mas <uv...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 12:45 AM, David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 09, 2014 at 01:43:52PM +0200, Vicent Mas wrote:
>> Hi,
>> after a long time without using Forrest I'm trying to redo  my website
>> with it but I'm failing. I'd like to use the current version, 0.9.
>
> Hello Vincent, good to hear from you again.
>
>> The
>> problem is that I don't know how to install it. I've downloaded the
>> apache-forrest-0.9-sources.tar.gz  and
>> apache-forrest-0.9-dependencies.tar.gz. as it is said in the link
>>
>> http://forrest.apache.org/mirrors.cgi
>>
>> But when I unpack those archives both of them have the same name
>> (apache-forrest-0.9). So I can't leave both of them on the same
>> folder. I've tried to put the dependencies package inside (and at the
>> top level) of the sources package but then forrest refuses to run.
>> I've tried the opposite with the same result. I'm sure I'm failing in
>> an obvious way but i don't see my mistakes. Sorry if this is a stupid
>> question but, could somebody tell me how install forrest 0-9 properly?
>
> Not a silly question. We tried to clarify the notes on
> that page already. It seems that it needs another tweak.
>
> Do this:
> cd to your-installation-directory.
> Unpack the "sources" there.
> Stay in that directory.
> Unpack the "dependencies" there too.
> This will append the extra bits into the
> appropriate locations.

Thanks David, with your help I've been able to install forrest-0.9.

Re: How to install forrest 0.9

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Sep 09, 2014 at 01:43:52PM +0200, Vicent Mas wrote:
> Hi,
> after a long time without using Forrest I'm trying to redo  my website
> with it but I'm failing. I'd like to use the current version, 0.9.

Hello Vincent, good to hear from you again.

> The
> problem is that I don't know how to install it. I've downloaded the
> apache-forrest-0.9-sources.tar.gz  and
> apache-forrest-0.9-dependencies.tar.gz. as it is said in the link
>
> http://forrest.apache.org/mirrors.cgi
>
> But when I unpack those archives both of them have the same name
> (apache-forrest-0.9). So I can't leave both of them on the same
> folder. I've tried to put the dependencies package inside (and at the
> top level) of the sources package but then forrest refuses to run.
> I've tried the opposite with the same result. I'm sure I'm failing in
> an obvious way but i don't see my mistakes. Sorry if this is a stupid
> question but, could somebody tell me how install forrest 0-9 properly?

Not a silly question. We tried to clarify the notes on
that page already. It seems that it needs another tweak.

Do this:
cd to your-installation-directory.
Unpack the "sources" there.
Stay in that directory.
Unpack the "dependencies" there too.
This will append the extra bits into the
appropriate locations.

> TIA
>
> PS: I want to use the dispatcher plugin.

Please ask about that in a separate thread.
I wrote a Quickstart document a long time ago
which did work at that time. However things changed
and it probably needs tweaking. There was some
discussion in the mail archives. Some other Forrest
committers do use it, so they should be keen to
help you to update it.

-David