Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch> on 2005/07/25 15:22:39 UTC

FOP@ApacheCon last week

I would like to thank everyone from the FOP user community who attended
ApacheCon last week and my session on FOP in particular. Also, thank you
for the various feedback I got and the good talks I had with some of you.

I think people are happy that they get a signal that FOP is not dead and
the end of the tunnel is visible. Personally, I was quite surprised
to see how many Apache projects are actually using (or have used) FOP
(directly or indirectly) and how important it is for them to have FOP
around. A similar picture from outside the ASF. I hope with some final
effort we can prepare FOP to be attractive again to everyone, especially
to new contributors.

I especially enjoyed meeting Christian Geisert (a FOP committer) in
person. He lives only 1 hour from Stuttgart so he decided to come in for
a visit on Tuesday.

If anyone wants to look up my slides for the FOP session, they are
available from here:
http://wiki.apache.org/apachecon/Eu2005OnlineSessionSlides

FOP lives! :-)

Jeremias Maerki

Re: FOP@ApacheCon last week

Posted by Christian Geisert <ch...@isu-gmbh.de>.
JBryant@s-s-t.com schrieb:
> "I think we should start a FOP users/Success stories wiki page"
>
> I could contribute to that. I use FOP for all the document production

Yes please!!

> needs of a small software company. The documents are as large as 2000
> pages, with as many as 25,000 internal links, all fully bookmarked.
>
> If you get such a thing going and post a link, I'll stop by and provide
> more depth about what I do with FOP here.

It's wiki so just add the links yourself at
http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/ and start writing ;-)
I think two pages would be a good idea, one FopUsers (or PowerdByFOP?)
for Companys/Projects using FOP and SuccessStories for more detailed
Stories.

Christian

Re: FOP@ApacheCon last week

Posted by JB...@s-s-t.com.
"I think we should start a FOP users/Success stories wiki page"

I could contribute to that. I use FOP for all the document production
needs of a small software company. The documents are as large as 2000
pages, with as many as 25,000 internal links, all fully bookmarked.

If you get such a thing going and post a link, I'll stop by and provide
more depth about what I do with FOP here.

Also, I know of some other successes for FOP. For example, the DITA group
chose FOP for their PDF engine. Consequently, all those DITA users will be
using FOP to produce all kinds of documents. As it happens, I live in the
same city as Don Day (who chairs the DITA Technical Committee), and I've
seen his demonstrations and chatted with him over lunch about it. I
strongly suspect that DITA will gain substantial momentum, and FOP is part
of its toolkit, so FOP will see increasing use. I assume the same is true
of various other open source efforts that need to produce printable
documents.

One of the things I look forward to is DITA's toolkit including FOP 1.0
(and XSLT 2.0, but that's another matter).

Jay Bryant
Bryant Communication Services

Re: FOP@ApacheCon last week

Posted by Christian Geisert <ch...@isu-gmbh.de>.
Jeremias Maerki schrieb:
> I would like to thank everyone from the FOP user community who attended
> ApacheCon last week and my session on FOP in particular. Also, thank you
> for the various feedback I got and the good talks I had with some of you.

Big thanks to you for representing FOP at the ApacheCon!

> I think people are happy that they get a signal that FOP is not dead and
> the end of the tunnel is visible. Personally, I was quite surprised
> to see how many Apache projects are actually using (or have used) FOP
> (directly or indirectly) and how important it is for them to have FOP
> around. A similar picture from outside the ASF. I hope with some final

I think we should start a FOP users/Success stories wiki page

> I especially enjoyed meeting Christian Geisert (a FOP committer) in

Yeah it was real fun, hope I will have more time the next time.

> person. He lives only 1 hour from Stuttgart so he decided to come in for
> a visit on Tuesday.

Here are a few pictures from the Hackathon:
http://www.geisert.de/bilder/aceu05/index.html
(thanks to Jan Materne for taking some of those)

--
Christian

Re: FOP@ApacheCon last week

Posted by Simon Pepping <sp...@leverkruid.nl>.
And nice pictures. Now I can put a face to a few names.

Simon

Re: FOP@ApacheCon last week

Posted by Simon Pepping <sp...@leverkruid.nl>.
Jeremias,