Posted to dev@devicemap.apache.org by Reza <re...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2014/06/29 21:20:09 UTC

devicemap @ github

So I went ahead and moved the devicedata and java client to github here:

https://github.com/ApacheDeviceMap

If you want to contribute, shoot me your github account and I will add you.

In working with the java client, I did notice quite a few rough edges. In particular, there needs to be better exceptions, the API needs a bit of polishing, better logging, and the tests need to be redone. The good news is that we have a jar loader, so you just need to put the devicemap-data.jar in the classpath and the data is loaded in effortlessly!

When this is done, 1.0 will be ready.

Would also like to better understand what ODDR's status is and if we can possibly come up with some sort of transition.

As stated in my other email, I was looking at Github Issues and it seems to be a perfect fit for our device data maintenance workflow.

Re: devicemap @ github

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, what exactly is the purpose of the copy of everything? If this is a
graduation effort, would this ever go to Apache or at least the Apache
repos on GitHub?
Note, any fork let's say from
https://github.com/ApacheDeviceMap/devicemap-data to
https://github.com/apache/devicemap/devicemap-data would not count as
"original contribution" to monitoring sites like Ohlooh. All
https://github.com/apache repositories seem to be mirrors only, with an
original Git repo under apache.org.

So is this an effort to graduate the projects and try to move all of it to
subsequent Apache git repositories no later than a possible graduation?

There is a project called Apache Web Socket on GitHub:
https://github.com/disconnect/apache-websocket

Not sure if it's related to any official Apache project or a fork? I
understand with proposal of  a Git Pull Request (like it''s done by many
other projects even JSRs, etc.) contribution by "casual contributors" as
long as they have a GitHub user can be done more easily, but is a device
signature contributed here acceptable for the "official" DeviceMap
codebase?

You can see Bertrand's user on Apache GitHub: bdelacretaz. Mine is
keilw. Please
add us as committers to the ApacheDeviceMap organization. And any of the
interested current committers who are on GitHub and able to help. Those
other OpenDDR contributors who joined DeviceMap should be here on that
list, please tell Reza if you have a GitHub user to take into
consideration.

Unless there is a legal or licensing problem with contributions made here,
it seems OK as a "graduator" but ideally at least if 1.0 is reached we
should aim to use an official Apache Git repo automatically mirrored to
https://github.com/apache.

Werner

Re: devicemap @ github

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 9:20 PM, Reza <re...@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:
> So I went ahead and moved the devicedata and java client to github here:
> https://github.com/ApacheDeviceMap...

It's great to see some action in the project, but if you ever want
DeviceMap to graduate from the Apache incubator, things have to happen
in the project, not on the outside. Releases from Apache projects have
to be cut from Apache-hosted repositories.

As DeviceMap committers you have write access to
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/devicemap/ so it should be
possible to collaborate here.

It's also possible to move from svn to Git within Apache, if you want
to do that I'm happy to help provide the necessary information.

-Bertrand