Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Emre Yildirim <em...@sgi.asper.org> on 2001/12/06 03:53:10 UTC

header question

Why does:

Header append Server HELLO

not work?

# telnet localhost 80
Trying ::1...
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
HEAD / HTTP/1.0

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 02:51:57 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.22 (Unix) PHP/4.0.6 mod_ssl/2.8.5 OpenSSL/0.9.6b
POOP: hi
Connection: close

Connection closed by foreign host.

Is there another way to possibly change the Server: output (without using
ServerTokens or editing the source)?

Thanks for any suggestions

Re: header question

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Wed, 5 Dec 2001, Emre Yildirim wrote:

> >> Is there another way to possibly change the Server: output (without
> >> using ServerTokens or editing the source)?
> >>

> > No.
>
> So what exactly is mod_headers useful for?  Are there any practical uses?

Yes, many.  Look in the archives of this list for an example in the last
day or two.

If apache allowed people to arbitrarily change any header, it would make
it too easy for people to make broken servers.  Instead, apache provides
directives to manipulate various headers in ways that make sense.
(Think, for example, of AddType, AddEncoding, KeepAlive, mod_expires, etc,
all of which manipulate HTTP headers in tightly controlled ways.)

For the specific case of Server, there are many people who seem to want to
mess with it.  The reason is usually some misconception that they can
improve security by lying in the Server: header.  It's a common enough
request, however, that I'm guessing Apache will eventually be changed to
allow people to further mess with Server (through an additional directive
like ServerTokens, not through Header).

Joshua.

Re: header question

Posted by Emre Yildirim <em...@sgi.asper.org>.

Re: header question

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

On Wed, 5 Dec 2001, Emre Yildirim wrote:

> Why does:
>
> Header append Server HELLO
>
> not work?

Because you can't change the built-in headers using mod_headers.