Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Kishore Yellamraju <ki...@rocketfuelinc.com> on 2013/04/21 01:00:38 UTC

rack awareness in hadoop

All,

I have posted this question to CDH ML ,  but i guess i can post it here
because its a general hadoop question.

When the NN or JT gets the rack info, i guess it stores the info in memory.
can i ask you where in the JVM memory it will store the results ( perm gen
?) ? .  I am getting "cannot allocate memory on NN and JT " and they have
more than enough memory. when i looked at JVM usage stats i can see it
doesnt have enough perm free space.so if its storing the values in perm gen
 then there is a chance of this memory issues.

Thanks in advance !!!

exception that i see in logs :

java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "/etc/hadoop/conf/topo.sh" (in
directory "/usr/lib/hadoop-0.20-mapreduce"): java.io.IOException: error=12,
Cannot allocate memory
        at java.lang.ProcessBuilder.start(ProcessBuilder.java:459)
        at org.apache.hadoop.util.Shell.runCommand(Shell.java:206)
        at org.apache.hadoop.util.Shell.run(Shell.java:188)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.util.Shell$ShellCommandExecutor.execute(Shell.java:381)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.net.ScriptBasedMapping$RawScriptBasedMapping.runResolveCommand(ScriptBasedMapping.java:242)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.net.ScriptBasedMapping$RawScriptBasedMapping.resolve(ScriptBasedMapping.java:180)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.net.CachedDNSToSwitchMapping.resolve(CachedDNSToSwitchMapping.java:119)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobTracker.resolveAndAddToTopology(JobTracker.java:2750)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobInProgress.createCache(JobInProgress.java:593)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobInProgress.initTasks(JobInProgress.java:765)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobTracker.initJob(JobTracker.java:3775)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.mapred.EagerTaskInitializationListener$InitJob.run(EagerTaskInitializationListener.java:90)
        at
        at
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: java.io.IOException: error=12, Cannot
allocate memory
        at java.lang.UNIXProcess.<init>(UNIXProcess.java:148)
        at java.lang.ProcessImpl.start(ProcessImpl.java:65)
        at java.lang.ProcessBuilder.start(ProcessBuilder.java:452)
        ... 14 more
2013-04-20 02:07:28,298 ERROR org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobTracker: Job
initialization failed:
java.lang.NullPointerException

-Thanks
 kishore kumar yellamraju |Ground control
operations|kishore@rocketfuel.com| 408.203.042
4

Re: rack awareness in hadoop

Posted by Mohit Anchlia <mo...@gmail.com>.
And don't forget to look at unlimit settings as well

Sent from my iPhone

Re: rack awareness in hadoop

Posted by Mohit Anchlia <mo...@gmail.com>.

Re: rack awareness in hadoop