Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Incze Lajos <in...@mail.matav.hu> on 2003/01/30 21:59:26 UTC

Artima SiteRunner

I've read this on Eliotte Rusty Harold's page (http://www.cafeaulait.org/)
and seems to be interesting (mainly the runner/reporter architecture).

--
Bill Venners has released Artima SuiteRunner, an open source testing
toolkit for Java that can run existing JUnit test suites as well as

  in JUnit, the notion of results reporting is linked to the notion
  of running test suites. For example, to generate test results as text,
  you use JUnit's text runner. To generate graphical test results, you use
  JUnit's Swing runner. By contrast, Artima SuiteRunner separates the notion
  of running from that of reporting. In Artima SuiteRunner, we provide
  one runner that can be configured with multiple reporters. Each reporter
  presents customized test results: for example, a text reporter presents
  results as text, a graphical reporter presents results graphically.

Because JUnit links the concepts of running and reporting in the notion
of a runner, we made Artima SuiteRunner a JUnit runner. You can use
Artima SuiteRunner to run and report results of JUnit tests, just like you
can use JUnit's text or Swing runners. The three main advantages of using
SuiteRunner to run your JUnit tests are reporters, runpaths, and recipe files:

  * A reporter collects and presents test results in a highly customizable way
    to the user. Examples are text, graphics, Web pages, database output,
    CSV files, XML, and email alerts.
  * A runpath lets you load classes for your tests from anywhere with
    an easy- to-configure list of filenames, directory paths, and/or URLs.
  * A recipe file captures and saves in a file the run properties
    of a particular suite of tests for easy reuse.
--

The tool is here: http://www.artima.com/suiterunner/index.html
and "the story" is here: http://www.artima.com/suiterunner/why.html.

incze

Re: Artima SiteRunner

Posted by Brian Ewins <Br...@i-documentsystems.com>.
The 'separation of runnning and reporting' was there in the original
JUnit, all you had to do was implement TestListener, not extend
TestRunner. Bill Venners readily admits he had trouble understanding how
to get the JUnit API to do stuff... however the separation is a little
different from 'output as XML, then display it how you want'. The
SuiteRunner API passes objects up, not just XML, so the GUI lets you
inspect errors. Not sure how useful this would be in practice.

The main differences lie elsewhere - the notion of 'test recipes', that
let you save + restore a classpath and a suite, the classloading model
for re-running tests used in the GUI is different from JUnit's, and that
Bill was writing the tool to test specification compliance (spotting
stuff like MS's java extensions), which he claims was difficult in JUnit.

I think as far as most folk are concerned, he's just written a
gold-plated GUI for JUnit...

-Baz

dion@multitask.com.au wrote:

>I read this and thought "I don't get it". For example:
>

>>  in JUnit, the notion of results reporting is linked to the notion
>>  of running test suites. For example, to generate test results as text,
>>

>Not with Maven it's not. We generate the results by running JUnit, but to
>produce reports we use xdoc.
>

>>  of running from that of reporting. In Artima SuiteRunner, we provide
>>  one runner that can be configured with multiple reporters. Each
>>

>reporter
>

>>  presents customized test results: for example, a text reporter
>>

>presents
>

>>  results as text, a graphical reporter presents results graphically.
>>

>Running JUnit with a formatter does the same thing for Ant, right?
>
>Or am I missing something?
>
>--
>dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
>Blog:      http://www.freeroller.net/page/dion/Weblog
>Work:      http://www.multitask.com.au

Privacy and Confidentiality Notice

The information contained in this E-Mail message is intended only for the person or persons to whom it is addressed.  Such information is confidential and privileged and no mistake in transmission is intended to waive or compromise such privilege.  If you have received it in error, please destroy it and notify us on the telephone number printed above.  If you do not receive complete and legible copies, please telephone us immediately. Any opinions expressed herein including attachments are those of the author only. i-documentsystems Ltd. does not accept responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information provided or for any changes to this Email, however made, after it was sent. (Please note that it is your responsibility to scan this message for viruses).

Re: Artima SiteRunner

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.