Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Keith Wiley <kw...@keithwiley.com> on 2013/11/14 01:01:10 UTC

Streaming doesn't update status/counters

I'm running Hive queries that use python scripts for the reducer.  This method seems to act like streaming in all conventional ways (namely, output must be sent to stdout and ancillary output can be sent to stderr).

I am not seeing status updates or counter updates however.  I'm doing it the usual way, by sending messages of the following forms to stderr:

reporter:counter:foo:bar:123
reporter:status:hello

I'm also attempting to send keep alives:
report:status:keep_alive

I can see all of these messages appearing in stderr, but they don't show up in the expected places in the job tracker...and I have no idea if the keep alives are "working" either.

With regard to counters, I'm not sure if I need to initialize or notify hadoop of the group/counter ids in advance, but with regard to status it should be very straight-forward, and I'm not seeing anything.  The status jus says "reduce > reduce", as always.

Thanks for any help on this.

"And what if we picked the wrong religion?  Every week, we're just making God
madder and madder!"
                                           --  Homer Simpson