Posted to user@cayenne.apache.org by "gdilem@libero.it" <gd...@libero.it> on 2007/04/16 15:26:27 UTC

why not middlegen

Hi all
I'm newbie using cayenne but i'd like to know why it should be better than middlegen.
And I wonder if exists a apache project for automatically generate swing GUI by a schema data base.
Regards
Giovanni Di Lembo

Leggi GRATIS le tue mail con il telefonino i-modeĀ™ di Wind
http://i-mode.wind.it/

Re: why not middlegen

Posted by jerome moliere <je...@gmail.com>.
2007/4/16, gdilem@libero.it <gd...@libero.it>:

> Hi all
> I'm newbie using cayenne but i'd like to know why it should be better than
> middlegen.

middlegen is the most popular MDA open source project  project in the Java
world...
So  it doesn't deal with how  to store/retrieve  data from db... You could
develop your own middlegen cartridges to plug Cayenne into  middlegen...

HTH
Jerome

--
Jerome Moliere - Mentor/J
http://romjethoughts.blogspot.com/

Re: why not middlegen

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.
> On Apr 16, 2007, at 4:26 PM, gdilem@@libero..it wrote:
> > And I wonder if exists a apache project for automatically generate
> > swing GUI by a schema data base.

You might take a look at jmatter.   It's not an apache project,
though.   And I can't remember if it pulls the schema from the
database.   It does automatically generate a swing GUI by the database
model, though.

You could use Cayenne with custom templates to accomplish this.  I've
generated entire web applications from a database schema, including
java code, config files, and html templates.

Re: why not middlegen

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
Hi,

On Apr 16, 2007, at 4:26 PM, gdilem@@libero..it wrote:
> Hi all
> I'm newbie using cayenne but i'd like to know why it should be
> better than middlegen.

I am not an expert on Middlegen, but AFAIK it is not a persistence
technology, rather it serves as a mapping add-on on top of other
persistence technologies. Cayenne is both an object/relational
mapping engine (CayenneModeler, cgen ant tasks) and a persistence
engine. So Cayenne and Middlegen are different classes of products,
although there may be superficial similarity in how they perform
certain tasks.

> And I wonder if exists a apache project for automatically generate
> swing GUI by a schema data base.

None that I know.

Andrus