Posted to dev@iotdb.apache.org by "runhuster@foxmail.com" <ru...@foxmail.com> on 2020/04/28 09:21:46 UTC

may we rename the package client to another name?

Hi,

I found the package client only has the logical about the shell tools to connect to the iotdb server. The name 'client'  always make me think it as client sdk for user to connect to server to
insert or query.

May we rename the package to another name, like iotdb-shell, and also rename the class name to iotdb-shell.

Thanks.

runhuster@foxmail.com

Re: Re: may we rename the package client to another name?

Posted by "runhuster@foxmail.com" <ru...@foxmail.com>.
Hi,

I agree with you, 'cli' is better.

Thanks.

runhuster@foxmail.com

From: Xiangdong Huang
Date: 2020-04-28 18:51
To: dev
Subject: Re: may we rename the package client to another name?
Hi,

> Can we move the client project to server and just use Linux shell to
determine whether to start the client Main or server Main

It is not a good idea.

If you have ever installed MySQL on Debian or Ubuntu or MacOS, you will
know we can install the server and client tool separately.

e.g., brew install MySQL-shell and brew install MySQL.

For a user who does not want to run MySQL instance locally, he/she can just
install the shell tool.

If we put the client module into the server module, we have to write
complex packaging scripts to build the client and server bin files
separately.

Best,
Xiangdong Huang
School of Software, Tsinghua University