Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> on 2017/05/17 21:22:08 UTC

[IMAGING] Why don't we just release it?

Hi,

Imaging's inception year is 2007. It has left the incubator around 2009. There hasn’t been a release under the Apache Commons umbrella, for various reason. I think we gave the initial contributors a hard time because we focused to much on code instead of community.
Imaging is out there. People are using it. I’ve seen project simply depending on a SNAPSHOT version. This code is useful to a large group of people.
So I propose that we just release it.

WDYT?

Benedikt

P.S.: Please no „we need to fix this and that“ comments, if you’re not intending to fix this stuff.

Re: [IMAGING] Why don't we just release it?

Posted by Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com>.
> On May 17, 2017, at 5:22 PM, Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Imaging's inception year is 2007. It has left the incubator around 2009. There hasn’t been a release under the Apache Commons umbrella, for various reason. I think we gave the initial contributors a hard time because we focused to much on code instead of community.
> Imaging is out there. People are using it. I’ve seen project simply depending on a SNAPSHOT version. This code is useful to a large group of people.
> So I propose that we just release it.
>
> WDYT?

I’ve done some reading through the code a bit, and the only drawback is the lack of javadocs in the code. That doesn’t seem insurmountable.

-Rob

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
> Am 17.05.2017 um 19:46 schrieb Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>:
>
> If you dig through the mailing list, you will find a few proposal for a
> road map out of "0.97" land. IIRC, the code was deemed in flux and BC
> breaking changes planned.
>
> For me, It's fine to cut 1.0 and to NOT be shy about releasing a 2.0 with
> BC breaks.

We have a lot of check style errors about magic numbers and wrong code style (I fixed some of those). I’m not sure we really need to fix them now, given the fact that they have been there forever. My hope is, that a 1.0 will attract new people.

Benedikt

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@bpm-inspire.com>.
Gary Gregory wrote:

> If you dig through the mailing list, you will find a few proposal for a
> road map out of "0.97" land. IIRC, the code was deemed in flux and BC
> breaking changes planned.
>
> For me, It's fine to cut 1.0 and to NOT be shy about releasing a 2.0 with
> BC breaks.

+1

- Jörg

Re: [IMAGING] Why don't we just release it?

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Amey Jadiye <am...@gmail.com>.
+1 , went through the code seems we can have all the feature in future
releases and ATM seems stable API's so can release 1.0

Also, as this will be the very first release we should keep code and build
clean which sets protocol for future releases.

so atleast test apache-rat:check clirr:check checkstyle:check
findbugs:check javadoc:javadoc these must be passed before release.

-Amey

On May 18, 2017 11:52 PM, "Benedikt Ritter" <br...@apache.org> wrote:

> Am 18.05.2017 um 12:54 schrieb sebb <se...@gmail.com>:
>
> I think the release should be marked as ALPHA.
> This is because:
> - there are many unresolved issues

Yes, but I don’t think we could push out 1.0 anyway.

> - it's highly likely that the next release will break compatibility

Why do you think this is the case? Can you give some examples of APIs we
will likely need to break to move forward? Something that has worked in the
past is removing those parts for the release as we did for commons-text and
commons-lang.

> This should also be highlighted in the release notes.

Definitely.

Benedikt

> On 18 May 2017 at 17:09, Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On May 18, 2017, at 9:20 AM, Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Damjan,

JPEG

>>> Any reason we can’t add this after 1.0? I’d like to get the release
train going for imaging. Once we have a 1.0 I think it will be easier to
push out incremental releases…

>> To add to Benedikt’s point here there are a considerable number of
projects depending on 1.0-SNAPSHOT:

<https://github.com/search?l=Maven+POM&q=commons-imaging&type=Code&utf8=%E2%9C%93>

>> So, if we feel that the code is in a relative stable place now, why not
cut a 1.0 and try to make these improvements as time goes on.

Posted by Pascal Schumacher <pa...@gmx.net>.
Am 19.05.2017 um 08:17 schrieb Jörg Schaible:
> We failed to release for years and the current SNAPSHOT is the de facto API
> now. So qwe better make this official releasing 1.0 and move on immediately
> with 2.0 to adjust any stuff that has to be corrected.

+1

Re: [IMAGING] Why don't we just release it?

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@bpm-inspire.com>.
Hi,

sebb wrote:

> On 18 May 2017 at 19:22, Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Am 18.05.2017 um 12:54 schrieb sebb <se...@gmail.com>:
>>>
>>> I think the release should be marked as ALPHA.
>>> This is because:
>>> - there are many unresolved issues
>>
>> Yes, but I don’t think we could push out 1.0 anyway.
>>
>>> - it's highly likely that the next release will break compatibility
>>
>> Why do you think this is the case? Can you give some examples of APIs we
>> will likely need to break to move forward? Something that has worked in
>> the past is removing those parts for the release as we did for
>> commons-text and commons-lang.
>
> As I recall, there were still a lot of non-private mutable fields.
> Encapsulating these will break compat.
>
> I don't think there is a clear distinction between classes which are
> intended to be part of the public API and those which are not.
> This increases the risk that a class that is part of the public API
> may need to be changed incompatibly.

We failed to release for years and the current SNAPSHOT is the de facto API
now. So qwe better make this official releasing 1.0 and move on immediately
with 2.0 to adjust any stuff that has to be corrected.

Cheers,
Jörg

Re: [IMAGING] Why don't we just release it?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 23 May 2017 at 09:59, Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org> wrote:
> Le 18/05/2017 à 18:54, sebb a écrit :
>> I think the release should be marked as ALPHA.
>> This is because:
>> - there are many unresolved issues
>> - it's highly likely that the next release will break compatibility
>
> +1 for an alpha release, ideally with its dedicated namespace to avoid
> conflicts with future releases (i.e. package changed to
> org.apache.commons.imaging.alpha1 and artifactId set to
> commons-imaging-alpha1).

+1, good idea

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 9:54 AM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think the release should be marked as ALPHA.
> This is because:
> - there are many unresolved issues
> - it's highly likely that the next release will break compatibility
>
> This should also be highlighted in the release notes.

The seems like the safest most reasonable option ATM.

Gary

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
Hi Damjan,

Posted by Damjan Jovanovic <da...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com>.

> On May 17, 2017, at 5:22 PM, Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Imaging's inception year is 2007. It has left the incubator around 2009. There hasn’t been a release under the Apache Commons umbrella, for various reason. I think we gave the initial contributors a hard time because we focused to much on code instead of community.
> Imaging is out there. People are using it. I’ve seen project simply depending on a SNAPSHOT version. This code is useful to a large group of people.
> So I propose that we just release it.
>
> WDYT?

I'd be willing to lend a hand with trying to release it.

-Rob

Posted by Pascal Schumacher <pa...@gmx.net>.
I know nothing imaging, but in principle I agree. If the code is useful,
release it. Do not hold back forever.