Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by "Kurvers, Eelco" <ee...@logicacmg.com> on 2006/04/19 16:33:07 UTC

Bundle Refresh

Giving a small demonstration here of a tiny service and a tiny client
for the service, which is outputting the result of a function of the
service every few milliseconds, I noticed one thing while changing &
refreshing the service. It kept working perfectly. Now my question is,
how are requests to the bundle handled, are they queued during the
refresh or did it simply refresh so fast that it didn't disrupt my
client at all?

I'm just curious about this, because I think OSGi would be perfect for
enterprise critical software.

Eelco Kurvers
Trainee

LogicaCMG - Releasing your potential

Kralingseweg 241-249
3062 CE Rotterdam
Netherlands
T:  +31 (0) 10 253 7339
E:  eelco.kurvers@logicacmg.com <ma...@logicacmg.com>
www.logicacmg.com

Re: Bundle Refresh

Posted by BJ Hargrave <ha...@us.ibm.com>.
It is also possible the client bundle has a package dependency on the
service bundles, so that the client bundle is also stopped, refreshed,
restarted when the same happens to the service bundle.

BJ Hargrave
Senior Technical Staff Member, IBM
hargrave@us.ibm.com
Office: +1 407 849 9117 Mobile: +1 386 848 3788

"Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Please respond to
felix-dev@incubator.apache.org

felix-dev@incubator.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: Bundle Refresh

There is no queuing of requests. The service is not available during a
refresh, since the bundle providing the service is stopped before update
(and then started after the update).

If your client tries to get the service during the update it will not
find it.

If your client is caching the service object and not releasing it when
the providing bundle is stopped, then this is an error in your client.
Service clients must list for ServiceEvents to know when the services
they are using go away.

Otherwise, you are just getting lucky if your client never notices that
the service disappears. :-)

-> richard

Re: Bundle Refresh

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.