Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by "Kevin C. Rea" <kc...@lucent.com> on 2000/03/17 05:46:20 UTC

Can't create store repository: /./repository

Now I am getting this!!!
Publishing Engine could not be initialized.
java.lang.RuntimeException: Can't create store repository: /./repository.
Make sure it's there or you have writing permissions.
	at org.apache.cocoon.processor.xsp.XSPProcessor.init(XSPProcessor.java:206)
	at org.apache.cocoon.framework.Manager.create(Manager.java:89)
	at org.apache.cocoon.framework.Router.init(Router.java:80)
	at org.apache.cocoon.framework.Manager.create(Manager.java:89)
	at org.apache.cocoon.Engine.(Engine.java:155)
	at org.apache.cocoon.Engine.getInstance(Engine.java:190)
	at org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon.init(Cocoon.java:119)
	at
org.apache.jserv.JServServletManager.load_init(JServServletManager.java:569)
	at
org.apache.jserv.JServServletManager.loadServlet(JServServletManager.java:48
8)
	at
org.apache.jserv.JServConnection.processRequest(JServConnection.java:266)
	at org.apache.jserv.JServConnection.run(JServConnection.java:188)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:475)

Re: Can't create store repository: /./repository

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Ian Abbott wrote:

> "Kevin C. Rea" wrote:
> >
> > Donald,
> >
> > Let me ask you a question:  Does the directory '/./repository' make sense to
> > you?  Don't you think I read the damn error message?  How about telling us
> > an example of 'where' this might reside rather than assuming we can't read.
> >
> > -Kevin
>
> Kevin, sorry about this, but if you did read Donald's message then you
> would have seen him recommend setting an absoluate path in
> cocoon.properties.
>
> I mean, I came across this error when starting out with the XSP builds,
> but it only took me a second to realise that '/./repository' was some
> relative path that only Cocoon knew, so I just changed it to
> '/usr/freeware/apache/jserv/repository'...
>
> Not that hard, really, is it?

Please, people, such comments really don't help.

Kevin, you have all the rights in the world to ask about everything but
please, respect the people that are trying to help you because nobody is
forced to do so.

Donald might well had assumptions that you didn't have but he tried to
help you and this is what counts.

Ian, also tried to help, even if not in a smooth way :) but it might be
helpful to you.

People, it's not about how hard it is, but how friendly we all are.

cocoon is a project that shows the power of respectful and great-scale
collaboration and community engineering. So, keep in mind that respect
is the only currency we have around here and not showing respect is
exactly like stealing money from someone's pocket.

So, Kevin, your problem is easily solved if you look into the FAQ and
read the docs.

It also applies to most of you people.

And remember, less questions on this list, more time developers can
dedicate to write a better product :)

Hey, don't get me wrong: if you still don't get it or find it hard to do
something, you have _all_ the rights in the world to ask and if we care
about the project, we should make all the effort possible to help
you.... why? because users become developers only if they can use the
software :)

See, it's all about respect.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: Can't create store repository: /./repository

Posted by Ian Abbott <ia...@cinesite.co.uk>.
"Kevin C. Rea" wrote:

> Donald,
>
> Let me ask you a question:  Does the directory '/./repository' make sense to
> you?  Don't you think I read the damn error message?  How about telling us
> an example of 'where' this might reside rather than assuming we can't read.
>
> -Kevin

Kevin, sorry about this, but if you did read Donald's message then you
would have seen him recommend setting an absoluate path in
cocoon.properties.

I mean, I came across this error when starting out with the XSP builds,
but it only took me a second to realise that '/./repository' was some
relative path that only Cocoon knew, so I just changed it to
'/usr/freeware/apache/jserv/repository'...

Not that hard, really, is it?

Ian

Re: How about some understanding! Re: Can't create store repository: /./repository

Posted by Ulrich Mayring <u...@123.org>.
"Kevin C. Rea" wrote:

> If you don't want to be the target of frustrated people, why do you assume
> that we already "know it all"?  Instead why don't step down off your box
> and
> address the problem at hand which is:  The comment in the cocoon.properties
> file concerning the repository is lacking in explanation for some people

Hm? That comment says that you should put an absolute path there, if you
have problems with a relative one. And it says that the directory must
be writable by the user the servlet engine runs under. It is not
cocoon's business to explain the difference between absolute and
relative paths or what a user and a process is.

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring
u@123.org

How about some understanding! Re: Can't create store repository: /./repository

Posted by "Kevin C. Rea" <kc...@lucent.com>.
Donald

I did get my answer by roaming through the archives and fiddling quite a
while. I didn't post my question until I was out of patience (sorry about
this) however  I know I am not the only one that is frustrated with
configuration issues. I  also understand that it is sometimes best to learn
the 'hard' way BUT that doesn't warrant a terse response like what you did
"again" below.

If you don't want to be the target of frustrated people, why do you assume
that we already "know it all"?  Instead why don't step down off your box and
address the problem at hand which is:  The comment in the cocoon.properties
file concerning the repository is lacking in explanation for some people and
as a result may further lengthen the "fiddling" factor beyond reasonable
patience.

Is there anyone out there who agrees with this?  I'm not trying to be mean -
I'm trying to help.

"A complaining customer is your best friend"

Kevin
Posted by Alex Muc <al...@utoronto.ca>.
Have you, in your cocoon web-inf/web.xml file mapped all xml files to the
cocoon servlet?

Posted by Autobahn Internet Services <te...@northwest.com>.

On Fri, 17 Mar 2000, K.C. Jones wrote:

> Did you verify that tomcat was installed and working
> before installing cocoon?  It is best to take the install
> one step at a time -- and I have the scars to prove it.

> > I'm using Tomcat3.1, Cocoon1.7, and the latest version of Apache on
> > a RedHat6.1 Linux box. I've followed all the installation directions
> > (edited cocoon.properties, added a path the Tomcat in httpd.conf, have
> > the correct CLASSPATH set, et al), but I can't get the example files to
> > work - all that gets displayed are the .xml source files.

> > Is there something else I have to do to apache to get it talking to
> > cocoon?

Yep.

Todd

Re: Request for help - REAL basic

Posted by "K.C. Jones" <kj...@phoenix-pop.com>.

Re: Request for help (Tomcat-jserv-apache) - REAL basic

Posted by Autobahn Internet Services <te...@northwest.com>.
Thanks, a variation of that solved the problem.

Todd

Re: Request for help (Tomcat-jserv-apache) - REAL basic

Posted by Michael Schneider <mi...@sdrc.com>.
Todd,

I had the same problems with Windows NT.

I am new to apache and jserv and tomcat, so I had a
difficult time putting all of the pieces together.  It
took me a little while to understand how all of the
pieces fit together.

The documentation for each piece was very good.  And
the integration docs provided some good data, but the
integration docs were not for the novices.

I have not determined how to use  ../Tomcat/conf/tomcat-apache.conf.

The basic problem that I had was the missing
line from the tomcat.conf file  (Step 12).  I did not see this steps in the

docs, but I may have missed them.

Hope this helps,
Mike

Steps a beginner took - Please email me improvements and I will add/modify

This is the approach that I took:

1) download Tomcat, and get it working  (validate by opening localhost:8080

     in netscape, and trying all examples)

2) Download cocoon and follow the instructions in the docs/install.html

NOTE:  I commented out the XSP resources and the LDAP process (may
              not be necessary) from the cocoon.properties file

3) copied samples directory from cocoon dir to Tomcat/webapps/Root

4) Opened   localhost:8080 in netscape to verify that I did not break
tomcat

5) Ran all JSP and servlet examples (again to make sure that I did not
    make stupid mistake)

6)  Opened   localhost:8080/samples

    (You should get a directory listing of the samples directory in the
browser)

7) Open localhost:8080/samples/index.html (you should see a rendered
    xml page with links to all examples)

8) Try each example  (Note: XSP will not work with commented out resource,
     and you will need to download VRML plugin)

-------------------- Congratulations!!!! you now have Tomcat and cocoon

9) Install Apache Port 80  or port 8090 if not Root (Tomcat will listen
    on port 8080, pick a different port for Apache)

10) open http:/localhost    (if Apache is listening on port 80)
           or
      http:/localhost:{Apache Port Id}

11) Follow the instructions on  ../Tomcat/docs/Tomcat+Apache

   Basically:

    - Include ../Tomcat/conf/tomcat.conf
    - download and install mod_serv.so  in apache dir
    -  do Step 12) below

12) Add one more line to your tomcat.conf file in  ../Tomcat/conf

#################### All xml files will go to coc
AddHandler jserv-servlet .xml

#This will map xml to the jserv engine

13) copy samples directory from coccon dir to  Apache/htdocs/samples

14) Fire up apache

15) Fire up netscape   (open http:locahost:{apache port}  )
     NOTE: you should get the apache startup
16) Start up tomcat

17) Open http:/localhost:{apache port}/samples
      Note: you should get the samples directory from the cocoon dist

18)  Open http:/localhost:{apache port}/samples/index.xml

     NOTE: you should get the cocoon samples index page

19) Try out each of the test xml pages

Request for help - REAL basic

Posted by Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>.

Posted by Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>.