Posted to batik-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Jay Chiu <ja...@ureach.com> on 2004/02/06 04:53:46 UTC

Re: Problem with scaling png image file in svg

Thanks Chris.

I tried with Batik Squiggle for the png images. If I does not
use <g transform="scale(xxx)">, the png image looks good in the
GUI, it does get scaled properly. But image with scale()
transform attribute losses quality, and the png file generated
by Squiggle is in bad quality.

I am also sending the email to batik-user mail list. Hope Batik
team can also help.

Attache please find a svg file , a source png file and
generated
png file.

Thanks a lot.

Jay

List:       fop-user
Subject:    Re: Problem with scaling png image file in svg
section
From:       Chris Bowditch <bowditch_chris () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2004-02-05 9:11:43
[Download message RAW]

Jay Chiu wrote:

> I generate fo file with svg section to hold absolute
positioned
> text and images. If the image size matches the width and
height
> attributes of the svg:image element, the image in final
> generated pdf looks fine. But if the image size is bigger
than
> the width/height attributes of the svg:image element, then
the
> quality of the image in the final pdf is very bad.
> I include the png file in svg section of .fo file through
> <svg:image width="350" height="280" x="1mm" y="80"
> xlink:href="p2.png"/>

Have you tried running your SVG using Batik's squiggle? Does it
look
okay there. If not, then this question should really be
directed
at the
Batik guys, because FOP uses Batik to handle its SVG. If it
does
look
okay in squiggle, then there could be an issue in FOP's SVG-PDF
Transcoder.

One other question: Does the image inside the SVG look okay if
you dont
specify width and height attributes on svg:image?

Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more
http://www.ureach.com/reg/tag

---- On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, Jay Chiu (jaychiu@ureach.com) wrote:

> I generate fo file with svg section to hold absolute
positioned
> text and images. If the image size matches the width and
height
> attributes of the svg:image element, the image in final
> generated pdf looks fine. But if the image size is bigger
than
> the width/height attributes of the svg:image element, then
the
> quality of the image in the final pdf is very bad.
> I include the png file in svg section of .fo file through
> <svg:image width="350" height="280" x="1mm" y="80"
> xlink:href="p2.png"/>
>
> But the png file directly included in .fo scales fine.
> <fo:external-graphic src="url('p1.png')" width="120px"
> height="100px"/>
>
> I use jfreechart to generate the chart image. Because of
> jfreechart's implementation,  I have to generate a big chart
> image and put it into a smaller space to have high
resolution.

Posted by Thomas DeWeese <Th...@Kodak.com>.
Jay Chiu wrote:

> I tried with Batik Squiggle for the png images. If I does not
> use <g transform="scale(xxx)">, the png image looks good in the
> GUI, it does get scaled properly. But image with scale()
> transform attribute losses quality, and the png file generated
> by Squiggle is in bad quality.

    The problem is that you are asking to subsample the image
too much.  The large image is reduced by 5x the small by 10x.
Batik does not prefilter for large subsample values so you
'loose' pixels with subsample values this high and the result
is aliasing effects.

    If anyone wants to write/contribute a block average or better
a true prefiltered resample operation I'm sure it would be
appreciated.  I can help with plugging it into Batik in the
right spot.