Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> on 2012/12/15 07:03:14 UTC

[math] missing deprecations?

The classes in .optimization.fitting seem to have been duplicated /
moved to .fitting, but the originals are not deprecated (though some
methods in them are).  Shouldn't we deprecate the original classes?
Also, @since for the moved versions should be 3.1, correct?

Phil

Re: [math] missing deprecations?

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 12/15/12 8:50 AM, Phil Steitz wrote:
> On 12/15/12 4:07 AM, Gilles Sadowski wrote:
>> On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 10:03:14PM -0800, Phil Steitz wrote:
>>> The classes in .optimization.fitting seem to have been duplicated /
>>> moved to .fitting, but the originals are not deprecated (though some
>>> methods in them are).  Shouldn't we deprecate the original classes?
>> Yes. In fact, all the classes under "o.a.c.m.optimization" are deprecated;
>> I intended to mark them as such, but somehow got distracted by other
>> things... ;-)
>> Thanks for the reminder.
>>
>>> Also, @since for the moved versions should be 3.1, correct?
>> It depends what is meant by "@since"... Is it the appearance of a new
>> feature (algorithm or data structure), or the actual naming or renaming
>> of a class or method? [There are arguments for each, but both cannot be
>> accomodated with a single tag.]
> Good point.  I would say leave the moved version @since tags as is.
>> In the former case, the answer to your question would be no since it is a
>> only a refactoring of existing features.
>>
>> In the latter, we'd have a problem: many "@since" tags are 1.2, 2.0, ...
>> whereas they should _all_ be 3.0 because of the package name change (from
>> "o.a.c.math" to "o.a.c.math3").
>> Since that had not been a blocker for a major release, I propose that we
>> postpone the resolution of this situation to the next release (opening a
>> JIRA report) or until we are sure how to best use "@since" must be used in
>> CM.
> I need a couple more hours to review and fill in the rest of the
> missing ones.

Done.

Phil

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.