Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by James Duncan Davidson <ja...@eng.sun.com> on 2000/06/18 10:14:58 UTC

Re: "Libaries" of task defs

on 5/22/00 5:07 PM, Bill Barnhill at bbarnhil@twcny.rr.com wrote:

> Allow any developer to commit, but each developer is on their own
> branch until they become a commiter. Then they are allowed to commit
> to the committer branch.

Interesting idea. Unfortunatly, we don't have the machinery in place with
CVS to do this in our current set up -- i.e. we don't have the ability to
restrict particular user's commits to a particular branch.

> This branch would be a kind of mainline R&D
> branch and committers could merge in worthy code from the other
> developer branches as each saw fit.  The project committee would
> maintain the main release branch and merge in items from the committer
> branch, tagging all the files with a release number and packaging a
> release about twice a month (as Cathedral/Bazaar says release early
> and often).

The PMC isn't responsible for doing releases, its only responsible for
making sure that things run smoothly. To be sure, things obviously haven't
been running smoothly here as they could have been -- though Sam has been
working on correcting that (+1!).

The person(s) that make sure that releases are running are known as "Release
Manager" or some such title (varies).

.duncan